Haus Wachenfeld ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haus Wachenfeld ?

Is the building in the background Haus Wachenfeld? As far as I can tell the view
    is from the east side. The shutters seem to match other postcards in my collection.

I appreciate the help.

Nate
    Attached Files

Have a look and find it out. There are a lot of pictures.

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&gs...HeKC4gSH4YDoAg

Gerdan

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
        Yes it is.
        Thanks. IMO this card is rare because it's the only one I've found.

Comment

Hi Nate,

Yes, that does appear to be the eastern wall of Haus Wachenfeld in the background, as it stood circa 1933-34 and prior to the beginning of the major enlargement of 1935-36 that brought The Berghof to life. The building nearer to Hitler -- just behind his head in your photo -- is the eastern end of the Adjutancy Building that was created to house some of the professional staff that served Hitler at this Obersalzberg Administration location; this building, too, would be enlarged during the major expansion program.

As usual, Wilhelm Brückner attends Hitler in this photo, as the Chancellor greets
          local children who have come to bring their Führer a bouquet of wild flowers.

Br. James

Comment

And that is the Hotel zum Tuerken barely visible in the upper right corner.

I would say, however, that this view shows the west side of the house ... the (later) Adjutancy side (as Br. James pointed out). This photo was apparently taken along the pathway that now leads to the DokuCenter museum.

Great find, Nate! I have never seen that one either.

Comment

Many apologies! My sense of direction must be as dyslexic as my typing! Gregg is of course very right, this view of Haus Wachenfeld and the Adjutancy Building is from the WEST side, not the east! Many thanks, my friend, for pointing that out.

Br. James

Comment

Geoff is right....it is the western side of the house prior to the erection of the adjutancy building which is not in the photo.
                Max.

Comment

I was able to buy this card plus two others from the same seller on Ebay. I think I hit the "jack pot" because all three images are unknown to me. At first glance I assumed they were Hoffmann cards. I'll post the others soon.
                  Thanks !!!

Comment

Interesting comment, Max: "the house prior to the erection of the adjutancy building which is not in the photo." I had difficulty identifying exactly what was going on in the background of this photo, but since it appears to me that the portion of the building directly behind Hitler's head is nearer to the camera than the portion directly to its left, I went with the attribution of the nearer portion as the Adjutancy Building. At the time of this photo, Haus Wachenfeld had three windows on the second floor on each of the long sides of the building, as well as a balustraded balcony around the front and both sides of the building, over which the house's main roof provided shelter. The building which I identify as the Adjutancy Building appears to be nearer to the camera and to have the stone patio laid right up to the building's front (north) side, as it did in 1933-34. This building also does not appear to have a balcony around its second floor level.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X