Buchenwald Memorabilia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buchenwald Memorabilia

A definite shot in the dark in the hopes someone might know more about these 2 items than I. As I was reviewing my fathers 87th "Golden Acorn" Infantry album I came across 2 items that I would like to present here for review.

The first photo, I believe, is of an SS soldier and the second is a 3-Reichs Mark ticket for the "SS Standort Kantine" at Buchenwald. As these are the only 2 items on the page, I have to believe these came together when elements of the Patton's
    3rd Army, to include my father's squad 345th Inf, I Company, aided in the liberation of this camp.

I am hoping someone can provide some further insight about these items. Thanks!
    Attached Files

The photo is not a SS man. He appears to be a signals man from the Wehrmacht.
    Max.

Comment

Hello Max History -

You are correct, something I realized after posting - any idea to the Kantine 3RM ticket?

Comment

Dan,

The 3RM token is an original piece. These are the least common of the Buchenwald denominations, yet are still not particularly valuable. The other denominations are as follows:

.50RM (green)
        1RM (blue)
        2RM (red)

These tokens all measure the same size, were produced on poor quality paper and come in two distinct patterns and two different formats. The two patterns vary in that some notes are marked "AUSSENKOMMANDO" across the face of the ticket, whilst others, such as the piece shown below, are not. The variations I refer to are the "slanted leg" and "straight/vertical leg" variants, which refers to the legs of the letter "M" in "RM".

Many US troops took these as souvenirs following the liberation of KL-Buchenwald. Some examples were damaged by fire, following SS attempts to destroy records and documentation that were held in the same office.

The most common of all camp/ghetto related scrip reproductions, is the 2RM Buchenwald token "AUSSENKOMMANDO" marked pieces. Often the background pattern is far from uniform, or the paper has a white appearance than found on genuine examples. The originals were used for outside work such as at some of Buchenwald's numerous sub-camps. Many of these examples are over stamped with the name of the sub-camp, with "Rottleberode", which later became a sub-camp of KL-Mittelbau-Dora, being the most common.

I have attached an image of a few pieces from my collection, these being early issued examples: note the low serial numbers.

Regards,

Carl
        Attached Files

Comment

Carl,

This is outstanding information you have provided me. It is great to know this is an authentic piece of history, albeit, even though the history is of a very somber time. I had no idea that KL camps utilized there own currency. I am also amazed of the condition of this 3RM currency although most things my father returned with were stored and taken care of properly.

As you are a collector of KL related items, have you been able to discern time frame as to when these items were printed and for documentation purposes what value would you base this piece at?

Comment

You are welcome Dan.

KL and ghetto currency was created and circulated throughout the later war years. Certain sub-camps even had their own specific currency. The example that you have was not issued, so if it was discovered and placed somewhere safe, such as within the pages of an ID card for example, then it would stand every chance of remaining in fine condition, despite its age. I will send you a PM shortly regarding valuation and further information.

Regards,

Carl

Comment

To augment the earlier comment regarding the poor grade of paper that was used, these images show a 1RM example from Konzentrationslager Buchenwald.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X