Are these PTO photos original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these PTO photos original?

First of all I want to thank you all for any help in advance.

I was wondering if these two photos were originals or copied later. They came from different sources (not together) There are no offical markings on the backs. Thye first one is 8 X 10 and has a blank border around it. the second one is smaller. both have a glossy finish and show age.
    Attached Files

Back of 1st picture
    Attached Files

Comment

2nd photo
      Attached Files

Comment

I know the Tribesman holding the head is a common photo found in a number of PTO vets albums and I am assuming the top one is along the same lines. Hope this helps

Mike

Comment

Russo-Japanese War

Originally posted by Military Trader View Post
          First of all I want to thank you all for any help in advance.

I was wondering if these two photos were originals or copied later. They came from different sources (not together) There are no offical markings on the backs. Thye first one is 8 X 10 and has a blank border around it. the second one is smaller. both have a glossy finish and show age.
          The top one looks more 1905:

Japanese beheading Chinese functionaries, Russo-Japanese War, 1904-5. Incident reported by war correspondent in Moukden. Japanese beheading Chinese functionaries suspected of Russian sympathies. From Le Petit Journal, Paris, 23 April 1905.

source

I was going through another site with many photos of Chinese-conducted beheadings -- the Chinese really excelled at the task! There was a group of photos showing Japanese beheading Chinese prisoners (even your same photo, but clearer -- but I was unable to copy it!!!). While the lithograph above depicts the sword as a Chinese-styled sword, the one I saw in the photos was a Kyu-Gunto like this:

Many of the images were reproduced as postcards with European "tourists" standing over the bodies after the execution. A few showed Germans (wearing picklehaubes) and Japanese lined up watching Chinese officials execute prisoners -- so I guess that was around 1900. Anyway, GHASTLY stuff -- even for me.

--Guy
          Last edited by GHP; 03-30-2013, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Found your photo on another site:

And here's the one with the German & Japanese soldiers observing:

source for 2nd image

--Guy

Comment

Interesting -- Well i suppose I got taken on these as I'm sure there are many many copies out there.

Thank you for the time to find the other photos.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X