Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for internet photo of wintertime Pz 4 tank commander

Hello-

A number of years ago I found a picture on the internet and am wondering if anyone else saw it and still has a link for it. I have never seen the photo in a book. It may have been at a European (Austrian?) militaria website but I cannot remember for certain.

It showed a Panzer 4 tank commander in his cupola. He is wearing white camo, with the padded toque and looks really cold. He is not looking at the camera. There appeared to be a clipboard or notebook visible which struck me as, I dunno, a bit on the human side of the whole thing. In the background are a number of other Panzer IVs, and on the nearest one are a couple of tankers looking towards the camera. One might have a fur cap on and is standing on the tank. Everything is white. The ground, the tanks, the clothes and it appears to be snowing. Trees in the distance? I can't remember if the tanks have their skirts. I think tank tracks are visible in the snow and it looks like the tanks are assembled for an operation. No unit or uniform markings are visible. A neat photo which I would love to see again and bookmark!

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Hi, I think this must be the pic you are referring to. It's from the Dutch "Beeldbank WO2" site. I think the pic shows Pz.IV's of 20.PD near Witebsk.

Arjan

Comment

That is the one!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!

Comment

It is the picture that personifies many an Armoured vehicle commander.

The common thought being perhaps 'what the fcuk am I doing here?'.

Jock

Comment

The notebook/binder is what knocks me out. Never having been involved in such activities in peacetime or otherwise it looks out of place to me, but in a lot of pics of knocked out tanks, there is often a bunch of paper, and other things, strewn about.

Comment

Originally posted by BB75 View Post
            The notebook/binder is what knocks me out.
            It's probably his mapboard/map-case.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by reinaart View Post
              Hi, I think this must be the pic you are referring to. It's from the Dutch "Beeldbank WO2" site. I think the pic shows Pz.IV's of 20.PD near Witebsk.

Arjan
              By the way, great work Arjan!

Comment

Originally posted by BB75 View Post
                The notebook/binder is what knocks me out. Never having been involved in such activities in peacetime or otherwise it looks out of place to me, but in a lot of pics of knocked out tanks, there is often a bunch of paper, and other things, strewn about.
                Mate,

It is not in the slightest out of place, I think most AFV commanders will at some point have hade something similar to jot down notes, in my case it had 'Fire plan' proforma and Secure Order Cards (SOCs), all a necessary evil within armoured warfare! I think the only difference in the picture was how cold he was and I used lumocolour to write where he had 'Chinagraph', and he was against a proper enemy!

Jock

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X