Himmler postcard or photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himmler postcard or photo

I've been trying to track down a postcard (preferably) or suitable photo of Heinrich Himmler recently but have been very surprised at both their scarcity and their price !
    You can pick up a good Hitler, Hess or Goering postcard for about $50 so why are Himmler postcards so rare and expensive ?
    I like to think I'm fairly resourceful and dedicated in my searching for items I want and I'm usually eventually successful but tracking down a postcard of Himmler at a decent price has me stumped ! The only one I have found at a sensible price is this one but the colouring of it puts me off.

http://www.germanpostalhistory.com/p...0cover=search&

The only others I have found are at Tom Capparellis site (see below) but am I really going to have to expect to pay $300+ for a postcard ?!

http://shop.kriegcards.com/searchqui...ywords=himmler

This one is perfect for my purposes but it's listed at $290. Is this really the going price for a Himmler postcard ?!

and the reverse.

I must say Tom Capparellis site has fantastic rare items and he obviously is an authority on such matters so should know what these cards go for and has presumably priced accordingly but why are the Himmler items so much more expensive ?

Hi!

Yes, I'm sorry to say that any Himmler postcard (by Heinrich Hoffmann or the Röhr Verlag) in really nice shape will be expensive, and Tom's prices are pretty much in line with the market. SS themed cards are VERY popular, and VERY few seem to be available, thus the price For example, I have an early 1932 SS 'fund raising' COLOR art postcard that goes for $795. Because it's sought after, early, & RARE! It's like everything else, supply and demand.

The color image of Himmler that you have shown is period, but not a postcard. It is from a series of small poster prints. These are not as valuable, so the Himmler one should only be in the $50-$95 range for this small poster format.

Good luck with your hunt
    John

PS: I am in the process of thinning out my large 3rd Reich postcard collection, and send out an offer to my mailing list of about 200 different cards per month.
    If interested, just send me a PM with your email address. It's always fun to look and it's free!

Comment

Thanks very much for your detailed response John, that was very interesting - well it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and hand over some serious postcard money.
      It's a strange old hobby in when I can pick up a document signed by Himmler (and given the thumbs up on here) for about $800 yet a postcard with the fellas picture on costs $300 !
      Last edited by Yeoman; 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I picked up a postcard with Himmler in the picture - signed by him - for $300. This was from a dealer who gave me a bargain because the card had a tear in it. But I've often found TR postcards cheap at general postcard shows from sellers who deal in all postcards - I've found Hitler PCs in nice condition for as little as $10. I have to admit I've never found a Himmler card at $10 though.

Comment

Meixner used to have fairly cheap Himmler postcards, but unfortunately he died last year. They still come up from time to time in various auctions though. Caparrelli has a lot of material and charges top dollar for SS material. I wouldn't call him an "authority" on the Third Reich because there's a lot of mistakes on his website. For an example, he identifies Julius Schaub as Bruno Gesche of Hitler's Begleitkommando! He can't even get Gesche's name right, referring to him as Gesher!
          Max.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X