Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With a name on a EK Doc.

Hi All,
    Can any of our German Members help me,I was looking through my EK Docs and noticed that they all have "Good German" Surnames but one i noticed is to a Oberkanonier LEO CZAPP,Is this a "German" name from a particular area or town or a Foreigner fighting for the Fatherland?

Thanks a bunch,

Ross

Re: Help With a name on a EK Doc.

A great many 'Germans' in the wehrmacht were, prior to the various border changes, Polish, czech, french or any number of other nationalities. Overnight they suddenly found themselves to be german and consequently draughted.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I Never thought of it like that Simon thanks,Any idea which country the name Czapp originates tho? I Guess Polish Or Czech seem most likely?

Comment

Czapp is not a classic/usual Czech surname.
        Contemporary Czech language not used combinations of two letters C+Z. Here don't exist not even one czech word with conjunction "cz".. Czech lang. only used Č (hook over C):
        Czech (english) - Czechy (polish) - Čechy (czech)
        The connection of letters c+z (cz, sz, zs,.. etc.) is used primarily in Polish or Hungarian language.

But.. maybe this may be very old czech name and may (potentially) comes from very old Czech language (before 17-18 century) - at that time be "cz" still used here.. or from some other (Slavic?) language..
        Czapp - Czap (old cz.) - Čáp (today cz.)? = Stork (eng.).

Comment

Thanks Bubble So seems to be either Hungarian,Polish OR a 2/300 year old Polish Family name?...

Comment

In the recent German phone book you will find 42 enries "Czapp"

Gerdan

Comment

Ahh Haa..Now thats what i needed,,Thanks Gerd and Thanks for your input lads

Comment

Originally posted by bubble View Post
                Czapp is not a classic/usual Czech surname.
                Contemporary Czech language not used combinations of two letters C+Z. Here don't exist not even one czech word with conjunction "cz".. Czech lang. only used Č (hook over C):
                Czech (english) - Czechy (polish) - Cechy (czech)
                The connection of letters c+z (cz, sz, zs,.. etc.) is used primarily in Polish or Hungarian language.

But.. maybe this may be very old czech name and may (potentially) comes from very old Czech language (before 17-18 century) - at that time be "cz" still used here.. or from some other (Slavic?) language..
                Czapp - Czap (old cz.) - Čáp (today cz.)? = Stork (eng.).
                Could it be a Czech name like "Čapp" that has been germanicised? Eg. Čapp = Czapp.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                  In the recent German phone book you will find 42 enries "Czapp"

Gerdan
                  Originally posted by Volksgrenadier 44 View Post
                  Ahh Haa..Now thats what i needed,,Thanks Gerd and Thanks for your input lads
                  Well, the fact that there are 42 in the German telephone directory does not mean much nowadays with immigration. The Australian phone book has 5 entries for Czapp, and there's over 100 in the US. Doesn't make it an Australian or American name.

Jason

Comment

His name appears on the Volksbund website. It doesn't have a birthplace or rank listed. I tried to copy and paste the link, but for some reason it will not work.

I'm not saying it is definately him, but he went MIA in Poland. Does the document have his unit listed?

Also, with the name and birthdate, the WASt might provide you with a very general outline of his career. Which may match the unit on the document.

Jared
                    Last edited by JBGracing; 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Jared,Many thanks for your input
                      Here is what appears on his EKii Doc..

Oberkanonier Leo Czapp 2./schw.Art.Abt.(mot)604

Im felde den 5.Sept 1942

Comment

That's almost certainly him, given his unit and where he went missing.

Unusually there's a history of the unit on Lexikon

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...hwer/AA604.htm
                        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I agree with Simon. Knowing his unit and where he went MIA, it is most likely him.

Jared

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X