Funny but Sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny but Sad

Here is a wonderful old original private photo on a postcard showing a group of young recruits being yelled at by their non com while in training. Note the Barracks in the background. Just like any army in the world then and now. Even his assistant looks on annoyed with these young soldiers. Very typical and slightly humorous.

Then the sadness. Look near the foot of the young soldier being berated. It is marked with a small blue cross. The reverse of the card is also marked with a cross. He died!

This was a common practice in the Third Reich to show the individual is deceased. I wonder what happened to him?

Most old photos can tell a story. This one is Comic/Tragedy.

Jerry
    Attached Files

funny sad reverse

rev
    Attached Files

Comment

A great photo Jerry. Thanks for showing

Darren

Comment

Hi,

Indeed a tragic/ comic photograph.
        I have several albums and collections of photos showing "the family member" with a small ink pen "x" to mark his presence.
        Even down to barracks images with his locker marked with an "x".
        We must remember that times were different then, and things we take for granted were luxuries to the people who lived in those times.
        To us, to take a photo of your locker appears ridiculous, to them ot was a big luxury!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

The "X" is to identify himself in the photograph, it has nothing to do with death.

Comment

I have lots of albums where interspersed throughout would be pictures where different people have a small x beside them. I have usually took it to mean that this marked a person who did not survive. In this case it might be that the x is to mark the owner of the picture but that's not always the case.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X