Unique "Tiger Stripe" SdKfz.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique "Tiger Stripe" SdKfz.....

Recently sold on e-Bay for 712.77 Euros (one of two photos of this SdKfz, the auction for the better photo quickly being cancelled and scooped up behind the scenes).

"Hundestaffel"
    Attached Files

Nice photo . Found some information on the web Sd KFZ 253 Sturmgeschüts Abt 197. Also found a second photo of the same vehicle with a soldier in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      Nice photo . Found some information on the web Sd KFZ 253 Sturmgeschüts Abt 197. Also found a second photo of the same vehicle with a soldier in it.
      Hi Remco !

The "Second Photo" you found is the one that was pulled very soon after posting...can you please post that photo here if you still have a copy of it ??? (I mistakenly erased my scan of it)

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

This is the second photo of the vehicle .
        Attached Files

Comment

Sad to say, but I'm quite sure "Klärchen" didn't survive the war...

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Another photo (of the web).
            Does someone maybe knows what happenend with this vehicel/unit?
            Attached Files

Comment

Great photos. Love that name...

Comment

The vehicle is an SdKfz 253 and was used as a command vehicle in StuG Abteilungen when they were first set up. The crewman is certainly wearing a StuG crew uniform and as he still has the early war beret this would appear to me to date the photograph to 1941. Of course the Russian building and mud camouflage also point at the period of Barbarossa. The complete lack of unit marking, or number plate for that matter, makes it very hard to identify the StuG Abteilung in question.

At least one of the pics is fairly well known having been on the Panzernet site for some time.

http://www.panzernet.net/panzernet/f...sy/253/004.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Alanmccoubrey View Post
                  The complete lack of unit marking, or number plate for that matter, makes it very hard to identify the StuG Abteilung in question.
                  Hi Alan, in fact the unit sign is there alright but it has been partly obscured by the mud or paint (I think it's the latter) stripes. In the pic with the crew member the outline of the unit shield is visible. Fortunately, sometimes vehicles can also be identified by using pics of other vehicles from the same unit. Here's a pic of an Sdkfz.253 (or 252) from Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 197. This vehicle apparently belonged to the 2.Zug , whereas Klärchen belonged to the 3.Zug. I doubt if this specific Zug indication ("Z" and a digit) was used by any other Stug unit.

Arjan

Comment

Z-num was often used in Sd.Kfz.253 of StuG.-Abteilungen/Batterien (attached is from StuG.Bttr.666). But as you say, "tiger stripe" Z-is from 197th, I believe.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Apparently the "Z-num" marking was indeed only applied to Sdkfz.253's and not to Sdkfz.252's. Here are two more pics of halftracks from Stug. Abt. 197. This 253 belonged to the 1.Zug:

No such marking on this 252:

Arjan

Comment

Thanks Arjan, as soon as I saw the clear sign I could also see it on the camouflaged pic !

Comment

Gee! I have never seen such camouflage!

Comment

Interesting that this seller seems to have an inexhaustible supply......of the same photos of this "Tiger Striped" SdKfz....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310641077344?...ht_1782wt_1398

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Hey collectors,

its right, the unit is:
                              Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 197
                              specialy: 1. Batterie / Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 197

The name of the soldier inside the SdKfz 253 is:
                              Uffz. Riecker
                              fought later as the gunner in a Jagdtiger in the
                              1. / Panzerjäger-Abteilung 653 (commander of the Jagdtiger was: Feldwebel Golinski)

"Klärchen" (Klara) was the name of his wife.

Best wishes

StuG-Collector

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X