This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible personality photo found!

Greetings, this photo came in a small lot i recieved. a few others as well as i seem to think that it possibly resembles a high ranking personality, however i believe the insignia is wrong, but the writing on the back raises more questions, so could i please get a few comments and opinions on this one. I would greatly appreciate it if a few of you guys could help me shed some light on this one.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files

125 views and not one comment.... I dont know what possesed me to become a lifetime member of this site. i think i would have had a better shot of sending it with my son to school for show and tell....

Thanks fellow collectors. I appreciate all of your help. good evening, and sorry to bother or waste any time.

John

Comment

Well, for one the quality of the image even blown up does not give enough detail for a 100% ID. There will be I am sure many possibilites but no definites. There is a lifetime membership worthy response for you.

Comment

poor quality photo

Could you show the writing on the back?

Comment

Looks like possibly a Leutnant, if so, not high ranking, at least not at that time. In any event, the picture does not look to be large or sharp enough to make any positive identification, especially with all the dirt and dust on it. The image is simply too indistinct.

Comment

Did you ever think that the reason you didn't get immediate answers is because no one had the answer to your question? You never state why you think some "high ranking personality" is pictured here, and though you mention writing on the back of the picture, you don't show it. Why do you think the insignia is "wrong"? In short, there is nothing in that photo to suggest a high ranking person, or, and especially, that any insignia is "wrong".

Steve
            ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Really weird. Uninteresting photo, poor information and an insult to top it all off. The thanks go to yourself John.

Comment

when I get to my laptop I will post a picture of the back which says Rommel. and I apologize for offending all of you or 4 making myself look stupid or for whatever. all I wanted was a few opinions not a pile of criticism. this is precisely the reason why I have been purchase a painting in less and less of the discussions. when I first joined this site it was a great place full of constructive criticism with help and answers. now it seems as though all you get are people wanting to cause problems or sound smarter than they really are. so once again I apologize for this ignorant post, and apparently I need to get out of this hobby all together, as there are very very few people who are willing to help or even care about newer collectors and their questions. you cannot get a straight answer on here unless you are part of the inner circle and even though I paid my dues I am NOT part of that inner circle. so once again I truly apologize for wasting any of your valuable time seeking help. thank you and goodbye

Comment

John Macrini,

Pointing out who you think is a high ranking personality with an arrow or some kind of symbol would have been a good start....I strained my eyes looking for anything resembling what you and others may think have seen in this photo but the only thing I can see interesting is the bunker behind the sand dune scene. What was written on the reverse that makes you think there is a high ranking personality present??? I consider myself having a good eye for photos since I post many in various photos threads.

Also what does being a Lifetime member have anything to do with not receiving a response to your request...many members view but choose not to comment but now you may not like the attention you have created by such a statement.

Bill Petz
                  Last edited by W Petz; 03-07-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Well, any high ranking officers aside, it's a nice picture showing the Neue Westwall (Before the atlantikwall) in its early stages (probably 1941/1942), with on the left a 1,5m thick bunker and the round arches in the back (Wellblech) ready to be build in to another shelter.

Photo: www.bunkersite.com

Comment

I think if it was anyone high ranking or important that soldier would not
                      be sat on that pile of logs looking bored
                      Mametz

Comment

Originally posted by John Macrini View Post
                        when I get to my laptop I will post a picture of the back which says Rommel. and I apologize for offending all of you or 4 making myself look stupid or for whatever. all I wanted was a few opinions not a pile of criticism. this is precisely the reason why I have been purchase a painting in less and less of the discussions. when I first joined this site it was a great place full of constructive criticism with help and answers. now it seems as though all you get are people wanting to cause problems or sound smarter than they really are. so once again I apologize for this ignorant post, and apparently I need to get out of this hobby all together, as there are very very few people who are willing to help or even care about newer collectors and their questions. you cannot get a straight answer on here unless you are part of the inner circle and even though I paid my dues I am NOT part of that inner circle. so once again I truly apologize for wasting any of your valuable time seeking help. thank you and goodbye

Are you serious? You post a nondescript pic without giving all the facts, throw a tantrum like a 3-year old when nobody answers, don't thank people when they do answer, and complain that it wasn't like this in the good ol' days. Have a look at when most of the responders joined the forum... years before you did. And to top it all off, your "apology" is laced with sarcasm and indignation. As far as I can see, the only "people wanting to cause problems" is you.

The Photos and Paper Items forum (as well as Wehrpass and Soldbuch forum) are one of the few areas of WAF were there aren't arguments, bickering and hurt feelings. Most people are helpful and willing to give opinions and information. Respect and gratitude will be reciprocated.

Jason
                        Last edited by jmark; 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I would like to say that I have always found everyone here to be very helpful. It is a great resource for me when I need help, which is often.
                          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edbullet View Post
                            I would like to say that I have always found everyone here to be very helpful. It is a great resource for me when I need help, which is often.
                            Ed
                            Totally agreed edbullet. I have found the same. I've also found that
                            If you want to be a pouty passive aggressive Dick with a chip on your shoulder because your "lifetime" you shouldn't be surprised when you get treated as such.

Here is something you should have already been able to tell John. NOT Rommel !

Comment

I provided a response even though there was a lack of information and before the name of "Rommel" was ever mentioned...by the way...you are Welcome. Another member stated that no Rommel is in that photo and I second that motion. I believe he was involved in a place called Afrika from early 1941 through early 1943..then later Greece and Italy before being posted to a place called Normandie.

You mentioned in your sarcastic reply that you are not part of the inner circle?? Discussion has been going on in another thread on WAF that early Lifetime memberships were sold to generate funds to start WAF rolling along and those were considered to be founding members. Now I believe that was around 2001/2002 period. Thereafter in Sebas own words you had to serve with distinction with very few memberships being awarded and you had to be someone close to him to make a strong case for a Lifetime membership. To me that means you were part of the inner circle...considering that you received your Lifer membership in 2007. I expect someone with such a distinction to conduct themselves with more maturity, consideration and respect to the members at large.

Bill Petz
                              Last edited by W Petz; 03-08-2013, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X