Posthumous U-boat badge award docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posthumous U-boat badge award docs

Not sure as to the rarity of these compared to the standard doc which in itself is not that common but trying to put together some info.

From my brief research there seems to be two types, one with an ornate border and one a plain thick block border. From those I have seen the more ornate type seems to be the earlier issue (42) and the plain border (43+). However I have seen a photo on the forum of an ornate one dated 44, could this have been "old stock"?

In summary the earliest I have seen is about mid 42. Can we assume that these were not issued prior to 42. Perhaps this document may have been introduced to reflect the dramatic increase in U-boat losses at the time?.

Losses
    1939 - 9
    1940 - 24
    1941 - 35
    1942 - 86
    1943 - 243
    1944 - 251
    1945 - 120

I have also not seen one dated 45 although the losses were still comparitively high, perhaps this is more due to the situation towards the end of the war than anything else.

I would welcome any other views / comments information especially in relation to the earliest and latest dates of the documents in collections and the corresponding date of the U-boat that was sunk.

Regards
    Rob.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    Attached Files
    Regards, Rob
    Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Plain border type
    Attached Files
    Regards, Rob

Comment

From looking into this a bit further the earlier document used the same design as the standard U-boat award doc at the time and just changed the text.

I believe that it is likely that the border was later changed from ornate to something more appropriate and sombre. Don't have my reference books with me but does this border exist on the standard U-boat doc.

Also an interesting point of note, although the earlier doc is dated Oct 43 it was not actually sent out until Nov 43, 1 year later.

Any views from other members?

Regards
      Rob.
      Regards, Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X