Wound Badge (Gold Class) Award Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wound Badge (Gold Class) Award Document

Here is one I purchased from a WAF member back in 2004. While I have no doubts about the originality, I would appreciate comments from members here as confirmation or otherwise.

My research on Lexicon der Wehrmacht indicates that the Pionier-Batallion 298 - in which this Gefreite (Corporal) served - was formed in Schlesien on 6 February 1940.

As part of the German summer offensive of 1942 in the southern Ostfront this Batallion participated in a battle which took place near Kalatsch in July/August of 1942, fighting in the Donbogen region. This led to some success in assisting the German 6th Army on their advance toward Stalingrad.

It is assumed that the recipient was gravely wounded (19.12.1942) in this area and subsequently returned to Germany - Reserve-Lazarett II in Chemnitz where the document was issued on 8. March 1943 (ink stamp also attests). Since the document indicates one wound, it must have been most severe, leading to total disability or blindness.

The Batallion was disbanded on 25. March 1943 following their engagement in the Donbogen.

I hope that you enjoy seeing this and look forward to all comments.

John
    Attached Files

I too am curious to know what type of single wound event earned the Gold grade. Amputation of one limb merited a silver wound badge, so I dare say this guy lost several limbs. The date provides a clue. The division was caught by several Soviet offensives. This from Wikipedia:

Schließlich wurde die Division bei Ticho-Shuranskaya von der Roten Armee eingekesselt, konnte von dort ausbrechen, um bei Tschertkowo wieder in einen Kessel zu geraten. Im Januar 1943 brach die 298. ID bei Kupjansk aus, um bei Schewtschenko in einen dritten Kessel zu geraten, aus dem sie bei Malinowka[1]-Isjum fliehen konnte. Nach verlustreichen Gefechten zog sich die Division hinter den Donez zurück, marschierte auf Krementschug, wo sie Abwehrstellungen gegen die vorstoßende Rote Armee errichtete. Aufgrund der hohen Verluste musste die 298. ID am 30. April 1943 vollständig aufgelöst werden.
    Your man was probably caught in the first pocket (Ticho-Shuranskaya). Frostbite claimed many lives and limbs during these battles.

Jason
    Last edited by jmark; 02-03-2013, 08:27 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
      I too am curious to know what type of single wound event earned the Gold grade. Amputation of one limb merited a silver wound badge, ...edit...
      Jason
      I've got a moderately complete grouping (Wehrpass, EK2, and wound doc, plus couple others) for a single-wound gold. He lost a foot and an arm according to the WP. However, in his post-war 50th wedding anniversary poem (also sent to me by family) it says "...the war cost him his arm and leg...."

Mine is from Jager Rgt 228 in early '43.

best
      Hank
      Last edited by Hank C.; 02-03-2013, 09:06 PM. Reason: more info
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I have a small set to a guy who was a member of a bridging unit with 86. Infanterie Division. His unit was fighting in the vicinity of Smolensk at the time.

On July 25, 1941 he suffered one wound that ultimately got him the Gold Wound Badge. His Wehrpass states that he suffered shrapnel injuries to both legs. I would guess he was likely wounded by an artillery blast while transporting bridging equipment and may have had both legs amputated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank C. View Post
          I've got a moderately complete grouping (Wehrpass, EK2, and wound doc, plus couple others) for a single-wound gold. He lost a foot and an arm according to the WP. However, in his post-war 50th wedding anniversary poem (also sent to me by family) it says "...the war cost him his arm and leg...."

Mine is from Jager Rgt 228 in early '43.

best
          Hank
          an arm and a leg is prob a pun

Comment

Originally posted by karlo View Post
            an arm and a leg is prob a pun
            Uh, no, it means he literally lost his arm/leg in the war. I'm too lazy to type out/translate the poem, but trust me on this one.

best
            Hank
            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
              I too am curious to know what type of single wound event earned the Gold grade. Amputation of one limb merited a silver wound badge, so I dare say this guy lost several limbs.
              Amputation of 1 arm from hand to elbow: silver wound badge, above the elbow: gold wound badge. The same system with a leg: from foot to knee: silver wound badge, above the knee: gold wound badge. That is the reason, that sometimes a man got a silver wound badge and e.g. one year later was operated again (due to the same wound), lost more of his arm or leg and therefore also was awarded the gold one.

Gold wound badge also for one wound, when the man got BLIND or if he suffered a BRAIN-damage...

Kind regards,

Peter

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses and also the clarification regarding qualification for a gold class WB for only one "wound". Makes for a good future reference thread.

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                  Amputation of 1 arm from hand to elbow: silver wound badge, above the elbow: gold wound badge. The same system with a leg: from foot to knee: silver wound badge, above the knee: gold wound badge. That is the reason, that sometimes a man got a silver wound badge and e.g. one year later was operated again (due to the same wound), lost more of his arm or leg and therefore also was awarded the gold one.

Gold wound badge also for one wound, when the man got BLIND or if he suffered a BRAIN-damage...

Kind regards,

Peter
                  Peter,

I have several guys with an amputation high above the knee who only received the wound badge in silver for their one and only wound.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Eric JB View Post
                    Peter,

I have several guys with an amputation high above the knee who only received the wound badge in silver for their one and only wound.

Best regards

Eric-Jan
                    Hi Eric-Jan!

Yes, I know, I also have some like Yours, but they should be awarded a GOLD one. I also have a Wehrpaß of a man who lost his whole left arm due to an explosing grenade who didn't get any wound badge; and I have one, who got a wound badge in black and later on got a golden one for the same wound because of losing at least the whole leg more than 1,5 years later.

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                      Hi Eric-Jan!

Yes, I know, I also have some like Yours, but they should be awarded a GOLD one. I also have a Wehrpaß of a man who lost his whole left arm due to an explosing grenade who didn't get any wound badge; and I have one, who got a wound badge in black and later on got a golden one for the same wound because of losing at least the whole leg more than 1,5 years later.

Kind regards, Peter
                      Peter,

No problem Peter.

I did have a grouping to a guy who was wounded in both feet, and received the black wound badge, something must have gotten much more worse as he later received the silver grade.......ending for the same wound to both feet with a gold version at the end.

A Panzer guy, wounded in August 1942 at his arm, received the wound badge in black for it, ...... didn't go well as his Wehrpaß shows later "Li.Ob.Arm amputiert" and receiving the wound badge in silver in December 1942, that sound to me that it was above the elbow, but no gold grade awarded.

A Volksgrenadier, first wound and a wound badge in silver, Versehrstufe III, "Verlust des linken Oberschenkels" ..... that is above the knee, but he didn't receive the gold version.

What should be awarded and what the men really did receive is something totally different.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Eric JB View Post
                        What should be awarded and what the men really did receive is something totally different.

Best regards

Eric-Jan
                        Yes, that's my opinion too!!
                        And I think, that many of those heavily wounded man had larger problems than insiting of being awarded a higher grade of a wound badge...

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Very interesting. Here is one of mine Gold Documents. I also have his black and silver wound documents. Perhaps it can contribute something to this thread

Regards

Erwin
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for posting your nice example of a wound badge award document.

For your man it is an addition sum, wounded three times and at the end an amputation resulting in being awarded the wound badge in gold.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Hallo EJ

Danke fur dein Nachricht. Ich hatte auch die andere Urkunde

gruss

Erwin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X