Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grosser Preis

Hello
    not really military, but rare and fine also....
    (and mint)

ticket included!

lets visit the nürburgring 1938

best wishes
    Attached Files

let see

the starter
    Attached Files

Comment

The results of the race are here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_German_Grand_Prix

You might wonder why Mercedes hired a British driver (Seaman, who won).

An interesting story:

In 1934 he resolved to become a racing driver and took his MG car to the European mainland to gain experience. He won the Voiturette race of the Swiss Grand Prix event at Bremgarten at his first attempt. He won other small races for English Racing Automobiles (ERA) and eventually Mercedes team chief Alfred Neubauer invited him for a trial at the Nürburgring. Both Silver Arrows teams used to have at least one foreign driver, if available.
      In 1937 he signed for Mercedes-Benz against the wishes of his mother, who did not want him to drive for a "Nazi" team. Having a solid start to his career with Mercedes in 1937, he excelled in the 1938 season - he won the 1938 German Grand Prix, giving the Nazi salute on the podium and becoming one of the favourite drivers of Hitler, and came second in the 1938 Swiss Grand Prix. In December 1938 he married Erica Popp, the daughter of the director of BMW, again against his mother's wishes.

Leading the 1939 Belgian Grand Prix at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps during a wet race, he crashed his car into a tree during lap 22. It caught fire instantly with an unconscious Seaman inside. It is thought he was using a line through a corner that was only normally used in the dry. On his death bed he remarked to the Mercedes chief engineer, "I was going too fast for the conditions - it was entirely my own fault. I am sorry".
      He died some hours after as a result of his burns, at just 26 years of age; it was Mercedes' only fatality during that time.
      After Seaman's death, Mercedes-Benz dealerships worldwide were ordered to display his photograph in their windows. Richard Seaman was buried at Putney Vale Cemetery in London and his grave is maintained by Mercedes-Benz to this day.

Comment

Hi,

The artwork on the brochure is excellent! To have tickets etc is a good grouping!
        In no way military, but this is the stuff I really like.

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X