Framed Hitler Portrait - Maenner der Zeit - Nr. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framed Hitler Portrait - Maenner der Zeit - Nr. 1

I've had this for some time now and was trying to research it recently.

As the inscription at the bottom of the portrait reveals, it is #1 of the series "Maenner der Zeit" by Hoffmann.

Can anyone tell me anything about this image or the series please? What date is it from? I've tried Googling it but have been unable to find anything, other than a reference to another image of Hitler from the series, often found in postcard format.

As you can see, mine is complete with its original frame.

Thanks for looking.

All the best,
    Toby.
    Attached Files

it's quite a size (frame 43cm x 63cm or thereabouts)
    Attached Files

Comment

back
      Attached Files

Comment

I'll have to check later. I have several Hoffmann catalogs that include enlarged Hitler prints that he was selling. Perhaps one of them in the catalog matches yours.

Comment

Thanks for replying Randy. Hope to hear from you with further info.

Best,
          Toby.

Comment

Heinrich Hoffmann amassed quite a fortune from his photographic business and his publishing efforts, and so did his primary subject, Adolf Hitler. One of the ways Hoffmann (and Hitler) established and expanded the line of different portraits of AH was that he kept on publishing older photo portraits while he continuously added new pix to his repertoire. (You see this, too, for example, with photo post cards of the Berghof and of Haus Wachenfeld...post cards with Haus Wachenfeld as the subject were produced by Hoffmann for years after that building ceased to exist as a separate entity, having been incorporated into the Berghof.) Sometimes the address of Hoffmann Studios in Munich was printed onto the pieces, particularly post cards, but this piece doesn't help us by establishing at least what period this piece was printed during, if not when the photo dates from. But we see here the fairly young Hitler in his late 30s/early 40s, as he looked in the late 1920s/early 1930s, and he is shown wearing the PL Traditions Brown Shirt uniform from the late 1920s/early 1930s. While he continued to wear the Traditions uniform on occasion, by his appointment as Reichschancellor in 1933 the PL uniform had already developed significantly beyond this Traditions design, as it continued to do. I look forward to further information from Randy, who has the Hoffmann Studios catalogs available.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              I look forward to further information from Randy, who has the Hoffmann Studios catalogs available.

Br. James
              I have photocopies (xerox) of several, plus one or two originals.
              They're SOME where in one of about twenty boxes in my garage that haven't been unpacked and organized since I moved this year. Appropriate storage space is always a challenge.

Comment

I know the feeling well, Randy...and I've lived here for 13 years, still with some things in boxes, and others that need to be boxed up but I haven't found the time...! I don't believe I've ever seen a Hoffmann catalog, either a photocopy or an original one, so I will be happy to be patient!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X