No. it's 100% original.

Rob

Comment

Looks good to me.
      Jeff

Comment

agree, good one

Comment

This is an authentic SS Ausweis from 1934. It bears a printed Himmler signature, but original handwritten ink signatures of Johann Harnys as commander of SS-Abschnitt XII and Wilhelm Weissflog as commander of SS-Standarte 54.
          As a point of interest, the 54. SS-Standarte received the honour title "Seidel-Dittmarsch" in December 1934 following the death of SS-Gruf. Siegfried Seidel-Dittmarsch the previous February.
          Max.

Comment

Note the nice rounding, with clear fibre traces around the edges too. A facet often forgotten by the fakers. Nice example, well done.

Regards,

Carl

Comment

Originally posted by carltiger View Post
              Note the nice rounding, with clear fibre traces around the edges too. A facet often forgotten by the fakers.
              Regards,

Carl
              It might be of help to everyone if you expand on your statement, especially regarding "clear fibre traces" on this particular example.
              Thanks,
              Max.
              Last edited by max history; 11-30-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
                It might be of help to everyone if you expand on your statement, especially regarding "clear fibre traces" on this particular example.
                Thanks,
                Max.
                Certainly Max,

The word "rounding", is a term used to describe the natural loss of sharp edges on paper or items items, due to their circulation and handling over a period of time. It is not the easiest thing to replicate, and when copied, often leaves signs of alteration on the banknote or document concerned. The fibres, are just that. Tiny paper fibres that can just be distinguished when one looks very closely at the rounded edges.

Hope this clarifies my earlier thoughts for you.

Regards,

Carl

Comment

Certainly Max,

The word "rounding", is a term used to describe the natural loss of sharp edges on paper or items items, due to their circulation and handling over a period of time. It is not the easiest thing to replicate, and when copied, often leaves signs of alteration on the banknote or document concerned. The fibres, are just that. Tiny paper fibres that can just be distinguished when one looks very closely at the rounded edges.

Hope this clarifies my earlier thoughts for you.

Regards,

Carl
                  Carl,
                  Many thanks.
                  I was already aware of the terms you used, but thought others might benefit from your explanation. However, although corner wear (rounding) is apparent in this example, I cannot for the life of me see "clear fibre deposits" in these images and which, in my experience, can only be properly detected by strong magnification. I would also take issue with your assertion that corner wear is difficult to replicate. It is reasonably easy, but, again in my experience, is often simply overlooked by forgers who usually tend to concentrate on the material surface.
                  Regards,
                  Max.

Comment

Most welcome Max, no problem at all.

Regarding the rounding...

Perhaps I should have clarified in my earlier post...

Rounding, although quite easy to replicate to a degree, is not easy to accurately copy, as it often results in slight variations when one compares the four corners of the piece in question. It sounds pretty basic I know, but most attempts at artificial rounding result in slight differences, which are easily spotted when the corners are compared. Natural rounding may show the bottom edges differ when compared to the top for example, but never a miss-match of all four. As you stated below, the forgers often forget to age the corners anyway, thankfully leaving the good folk a little indication that all is not well with the example in question.

Regards,

Carl

Comment

Most welcome Max, no problem at all.

Regarding the rounding...

Perhaps I should have clarified in my earlier post...

Rounding, although quite easy to replicate to a degree, is not easy to accurately copy, as it often results in slight variations when one compares the four corners of the piece in question. It sounds pretty basic I know, but most attempts at artificial rounding result in slight differences, which are easily spotted when the corners are compared. Natural rounding may show the bottom edges differ when compared to the top for example, but never a miss-match of all four. As you stated below, the forgers often forget to age the corners anyway, thankfully leaving the good folk a little indication that all is not well with the example in question.

Regards,

Carl
                      Sorry, Carl, but I cannot agree with you. Corner wear (rounding) is caused by natural wear and tear and therefore follows no pattern whatsoever. It is solely dependent on how and where the item is carried and/or used. Variations in any area are quite normal and it is therefore very possible to find wear presented in varying degrees on any angle.
                      But we engage in technicalities......... I am, however, interested in your observation of "clear fibre deposits" which you have omitted to explain in your response.
                      Sorry to go on, but, as you may have gathered, the detection of forgeries and authentication are my speciality and I love to engage in discussion on the subject, often to the point of boredom for those not so interested!
                      Regards,
                      Max.

Comment

Natural wear and tear it is, patently. Yet my point that I am trying to make here, is that the forged attempts often display very sharp, almost angular edges, whereas the corners on a genuinely rounded example will be more natural ans gentle in their appearance.

As you have stated, maginifaction obviously aids with any attempt to detect small details that the naked eye would otherwise miss, such as fibres, yet sometimes, they are visible without the need to reach for a glass. When I initially saw the images below, I believe that I saw a feint fibre around the top left corner area. That is why I mentioned the fibres. They are something that cannot be ignored, as many modern reproduction examples display absolutely no sign of them.

Thanks for your comments and thoughts Max, I appreciate it and always enjoy reading your posts

Regards,

Carl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X