Erich Cleff Wehrmacht art prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erich Cleff Wehrmacht art prints

I’m hoping to learn what I can about these prints. First off the paper does not react to UV, the white areas are showing some yellowing with age and they’re 8.5” x 11”. Not knowing diddly about such things, I’m guessing they are studio prints or reprints (whatever one might call them) of original watercolors.

At the bottom right they read: ‘Verlag Erich Klinghammer, Berlin’ - so one question might be was Klinghammer the studio producing them for domestic consumption or the distributor selling them? At the bottom left of the images is a caption (I don’t read German) and a reference to: ‘von Erich Cleff’ perhaps ‘of’ Jugeren, Berlin? (I did find a reference to a German artist via Google named Erich Cleff 1904-1983) Apparently his paintings were published in the German aviation magazine ‘Der Adler’ and he did painted portraits (http://www.usmbooks.com/luftwaffe_portraits.html) of famous folks of the period. I also found a reference to a book he apparently authored (?) named: Siegreiches Deutsches Heer published by E. Klinghammer (again) in 1941 so I’m wondering if anyone may be able to share more information on this artist.

There are ten such prints as well as a Hoffmann/Munchen studio print of the Chief numbered ‘Nr 1412’. The Hitler photo has a lithographed signature across the bottom as well as some very light hand writing that I can’t make out.

I would very much like to learn whatever I can on these with your help. For instance, how common (or not) are such prints these days?

Thanx, Rick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

the Chief
            Attached Files

Comment

No one has any clue on these prints or the artist?

Any help/comment would be appreciated...

Comment

I think they probably come from this 1941 book, which is a portfolio with 16 color plates:

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=4hAbHQAACAAJ

You are in New Hampshire. Looking at library holdings, the closest to you that I see is a an example of this book in the Brown University Library in Providence, Rhode Island.

The artist was born in 1904 and died in 1983.

He also did some Luftwaffe portraits of fighter aces, similar prints of which were sold on the internet not too long ago.
                Last edited by randy@treadways; 11-28-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X