No announcement yet.

Obersalzberg PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another photo I took from the road leading to the Turken and the Berghof...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TerryG; 08-19-2004, 07:24 AM.

Comment

...compare the view of the mountains..
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG
        Thanks, I like it also. Getting this postcard today has prompted me to dig out some old photos I took about 10 years ago at least when I visited the Obersalzberg. I know this is not the right section of the forum but these photos will go with the postcard.
        Here is the Platterhof. I hear that it is no longer there, is that right?
        Hi Terry,
        Yes the Platterhof is completely torn down and is now a parking lot. I haven't been there since 2000, but my brother still visits and has some info on his "Third Reich in Ruins" website http://www.thirdreichruins.com/bgaden.htm#update2001

The Berghof garage was covered over in 1995 before the U.S. military turned the area back to the German Government. Now my brother says that dirt and rubble from the recent construction in the area has been piled on top of the Berghof site. However, some of the concrete and brick retaining walls that were at the rear of the Berghof are still there, and I understand that the ruins of the Kampfhäusl (the little cabin where Hitler went after he was released from prison) across from the Platterhof site are still there.

The Hotel zum Türken is still running and gives tours through their tunnel system.

The building shown in ruins in your #15 was a "guesthouse" for dignitaries visiting the Obersalzberg area during the Third Reich; they have now turned it into a museum that I understand is pretty good.

Regards,
        Greg
        sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
        www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Thanks Greg. I must get back there soon before it all gets lost forever...

Comment

obersalzberg

Amazingly, I have just got a similar "folding" postcard showing the obersalzberg at the end of the war, before the Berghof was blown up.
            Attached Files

Comment

Obersalzberg

Close up of the left part
              Attached Files

Comment

Obersalzberg

...and the right side with the hotel Zum Turken on the right and the Berghof above it.
                Attached Files

Comment

I just went there last week
                  Kind regards,
                  Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Obersalzberg

Originally posted by Giel
                    I just went there last week
                    Was it worth it? After all the recent destruction and building work, I would like to know if it is still worth the long trip.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG
                      Was it worth it? After all the recent destruction and building work, I would like to know if it is still worth the long trip.
                      I was there last week, well worth the trip. If you get a chance go to Nürnberg & Munich as well while you're there. Fantastic places, still full of TR history.

Cheers
                      Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X