X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge Military Rally Hitler Reviewing The Troops

Radd personnel currently being reviewed
    Attached Files

Nice photo, thanks for sharing it! The top margin excludes the background of the stadium or facility this RAD review took place in, which makes location identification less certain (at least to me), but it could be the Zeppelinwiese at the Nuremberg rally grounds. The huge RAD field displays often took place at the Zeppelinwiese during the annual Party Congresses.

Br. James

Comment

It's definitely the Zeppelinfeld in Nürnberg.

The stadium towers spaced evenly in the background, with the flags on top, are the identifier.

Comment

Nice image, thanks for sharing.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for posting the pic.

Peto at point

Comment

Your eyes are better than mine, Randy! With the sunspot blur at the top left and the deep encroachment of the photo's margin at the horizon line, I couldn't see enough of the stadium's background to positively identify the Zeppelinwiese; I'm glad you could.

Br. James

Comment

Once they all marched in and filled the stadium floor, this is what it looked like. You can still see the P.A. system speakers poking up on the field between all those RAD guys. The stadium towers with flags can be seen better in this picture, but they're in yours too.

It's said that when filled, this stadium could hold 100,000 people on the field alone (not counting spectators).

They always liked to put the RAD guys without shirts in the front row- carefully selected for musculature of course.

Comment

Yes, that's what I had in mind, Randy; just couldn't be sure of the detail from the original photo.

Br. James

Comment

The original photo looks like it was taken by one of the RAD officers standing on the Zeppelinwiese Tribune behind Hitler and Hierl.

Br. James

Comment

I believe your photo is on Thursday, September 10, 1936, between 10:00 and 11:00 am. Probably much closer to 10:00 when the parade started, since the field is not full yet.

I narrowed it down to 1936 or later because of the completion of the stadium towers, then compared photos from 1936, 1937 and 1938. The position of Hitler taking the salute relative to Hierl and the other RAD leaders is an exact match to 1936. Once we had that, the daily Reichsparteitag schedule of events is well known.

I had already matched the rain puddles on the ground to 1936, but this comparison picture is the one which finally nailed it for me. The 1937 and 1938 position of Hitler is very different.

This one is very much like yours too. We can see Hitler, Hierl, Hess, and others. Even Hoffmann rewinding his camera. The 4 H's... LOL
                    Who is the guy wearing the peaked hat next to Hess? Maybe Wilhelm Frick?

This one is a better angle to identify them...
                    Last edited by randy@treadways; 08-11-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X