Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia question

Hi all!

This photo was posted on a fb group related to old photos of my hometown, Xanthi, Greece, by a local collector. It was taken on April 9, 1941, after the fall of fortress Ehinos, on the north of the city.

I am curious about the left sleeve insignia, as I have the impression that they are not Feldgendarmerie ones. Although the quality is not the best, I can't see a Feldgendarmerie cufftitle. Moreover, I think that the armband is not covering a Feldgendarmerie eagle, as the contrast looks too high, plus I think that the wings should be visible if it actually was one.

My guess is that the man is on temporary traffic control duty, hence the armband. Am I correct or not? Plus, if that is the case, what is the insignia covered by the armband? Could it be an Oberschütze patch?

I would also appreciate any ideas on the sign of the motorcycle!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
    Giorgos

his rank is oberschütze
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Simon!

Best regards,
      Giorgos

Comment

Does anyone have an idea about the sign of the motorcycle?

Best regards,
        Giorgos

Comment

Temporary traffic control duty, yes, and my *guess* is that it might be a railroad crossing.
          If this is your hometown, stray dog, maybe you can confirm whether there is a railroad crossing on the highway? If so, you might be able to even determine whether the building in the background still exists today.

Comment

Originally posted by randy@treadways View Post
            Temporary traffic control duty, yes, and my *guess* is that it might be a railroad crossing.
            If this is your hometown, stray dog, maybe you can confirm whether there is a railroad crossing on the highway? If so, you might be able to even determine whether the building in the background still exists today.
            Thanks for your reply!

There is no railroad crossing there, but it's actually the western entrance of the city, so a pretty important point, if this makes sense. The forces pushing towards Salonica would pass through there.

The building is identified, it was built as a toll post during the time of the Ottoman rule and continued functioning as a "municipal toll post" as the inscription says until the '40s. This area of the city is still called "Foros" (toll post) after this building.

It was unfortunately razed 4 years ago, so that a motorcycle store would be built in its place...

Best regards,
            Giorgos

Comment

I find it interesting that so many kids and women have gathered around at this point, at the entrance to the town, to take a look at the arrival of the Germans they'd heard all about, with their super modern military equipment. Almost like spectators at a parade.

Being a fairly small town, probably it's not every day that residents were to see so much military personnel and equipment passing through, so it really was something like coming out to see a parade. Curiosity, certainly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X