Sad documents Kreuzer Köningsberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad documents Kreuzer Köningsberg

In this thread I want to present a small lot of documents named to Max Kosel. He served on cruiser Köningsberg, named after the German city in East-Prussia, currently named Kaliningrad. The cruiser was commissioned in 1929, built in Wilhelmshaven.

The earliest document is a small promotion doc, signed by Kapitän zur see Ernst Schürlen. (I would be interested in seeing more examples of his signature to see this is correct)
    Attached Files

The cruiser took part in the invasion of Norway, I copied this from wikipedia to save me some typing:

In early April 1940, Königsberg participated in Gruppe 3 of the invasion of Norway transporting troops from Wilhelmshaven to Bergen, Norway, together with her sistership Köln, the artillery training ship Bremse and the torpedo boats Wolf and Leopard. Königsberg and Bremse were lightly damaged by Norwegian coastal artillery batteries at Kvarven Fort on 9 April 1940. The Königsberg suffered a mechanical failure attributed to the ship's unreliable machinery causing it to remain in port while the other ships returned to Germany.
    On 9 April 1940, Königsberg was attacked in Bergen harbor by 16 Blackburn Skua dive bombers of the British Fleet Air Arm (7 of 800 Naval Air Squadron and 9 of 803 Naval Air Squadron), launched from RNAS Hatston, Orkney. Königsberg had only 2" belt armor and 1 3/4" deck armor, and was therefore quite vulnerable to dive bomber attack The Skuas attacked in three groups: the nine of 803 NAS, six of 800 NAS, and one aircraft of 800 NAS which lost contact during the outward flight but found Königsberg independently. The dive bombers attacked at 7:20, catching the ship's crew off guard. Half of the dive bombers had completed their dives before the crew realised they were under attack. Only one large anti-aircraft gun was reported as being manned with shells being fired once every five second from the aft of the ship with lighter anti-air weapons firing from the shore and adjacent ships firing even later in the attack. Two hits were claimed amidships and a third was scored on the forecastle. The ship started sinking by the bow with flames reaching nearly 100 ft in the air. The stern later rose into the air exposing her screws, causing her to roll over and sink 50 minutes after the initial attack. The fate of Königsberg was witnessed and reported by Americans aboard the Flying Fish also in harbor during the attack.
    Attached Files

Comment

Kosel was amongst the missing persons after the ship capsized. In the after action report it's mentioned where he was stationed. 14 days later, Kosel's body was not found, they took the logical conclusion he was dead. A letter was written to his wife.
      Attached Files

Comment

It took some time (1942) before another letter was adressed to his wife, containing the posthume Flottenkriegsabzeichen with Urkunde.
        Attached Files

Comment

The wreck had been lying in Bergen's harbor, although many effort was put in salvaging here. It succeed partly in 1942, after which it was used as berth. However, it took until late 1944 to salvage the remains of Kosel on board. I think you do not wish to visualize how that would have looked. A marriage ring was found, with the inscription F.K. 24.12.39. It is mentioned in the letter that Frau Kosel could receive it, if she could confirm it was once her man's. Furthermore, photos of the grave were promised, but with the limitation that these possibly could be made only after the winter, which starts early in that area.

The feldpostnumber is that of the Kommandant der Seeverteidigung von Bergen.

Unfortunally I do not know the whereabouts of the ring..
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to a Norwegian friend I also have some photos of the graves at Bergen, where 18 crewmembers of the Köningsberg found their last resting place. One can only hope Frau Kosel had the possiblity to visit the grave of her husband.

Well, that's it, hope this was of interest.

Maurice
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting thread, thanks for posting.

Comment

And here his Volksbund entry:

Max Kosel

Max Kosel ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Bergen-Solheim.

Endgrablage: Block 3 Reihe 3 Grab 19-34

Nachname: Kosel
                Vorname: Max
                Dienstgrad: Stabsmaschinist
                Geburtsdatum: 31.10.1896
                Geburtsort: Kauppa
                Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 10.04.1940
                Todes-/Vermisstenort: Bergen

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks both for your replies! Indeed, the Volksbund site is very helpful with these kinds of queries, although their database is not 100% complete and correct.

Kind regards,

Maurice

Comment

Very interesting, i have some documents from other crewmembers of the Königsberg but this is the first set from one of those who lost their lives.

The sinking of the Königsberg was a historical milestone in both the history of naval and air warfare as this was the first capital ship to be sunk by aircraft in war.

many thanks indeed for posting
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Great documents. Congratulations.

Comment

A most interesting topic and items.
                        Thanks for sharing.
                        Douglas

Comment

Interesting thread....I have a Wehrpaß somewhere to a crew member of Königsberg who was killed in action but with another unit in Calais 1940.....must try and find it as I have not researched it yet!

/Ian
                          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thread of great interest, thanks for sharing with us. Did you try to get in contct with relatives?

Comment

Very interesting to know the story behind the documents along with photos of the grave site. It would be interesting to know if his widow ever received her husbands ring. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X