What Stalingrad could do to a man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Stalingrad could do to a man

Meet Oberleutnant Richard Grimm, a company commander in Pionier-Bataillon 305. On the left during happy times on occupation duty in sunny France. On the right after 6 months on the Ostfront, including four weeks in Stalingrad.

The 1942 summer campaign stripped the weight off him, as did severe stomach problems that caused acute diarrhoea and eventually prompted his commander to send him back to Germany to recover. This saved his life because he left Stalingrad 5 days before the Soviet counteroffensive. When he detrained in Germany, he weighed just 48kg fully dressed with overcoat and pistol.

The photo on the right affects me because of the haunted look in his eyes... and this snap was taken during a joyous moment (holding his 15-month old daughter for just the second time in his life).

Stalingrad affected him for the rest of his life. Some things could never be erased from his memory, like his best NCO screaming for a pistol after suffering a ghastly stomach wound, or most of his company succumbing to death and wounds in Stalingrad. In 1989 he wrote: "For me, the war continued for years and when I have a fever, when I’m ill, my thoughts – which are morbid, I want to say – always return to that 4-week period in Stalingrad. Perhaps that will also happen during my final hours."

Thought I would post this to show that scars were not always physical. I'm in Grimm's head at the moment because he is the main protagonist in my upcoming book.

Jason

- - -
    Attached Files

Amazing. Thank you for show it

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

This is a great post, Jason. Looking in the eyes of people in historical photgraphs has always amazed me. In addition to WWII, I have a significant interest in early NYC gangsters, especially the Murder Inc. guys like Pittsburgh Phill Strauss and Buggsy Seigel, I have stared in their eyes over and over. The whole thing is truly fascinating.

I generally don't collect portaits of Wehrmacht soldiers anymore but I have quite a few that I will keep indefinitely. Many of which are guys whose faces or eyes speak volumes.

These two young kids have always grabbed my attention. Both have been seriously wounded given their (probably) silver wound badges. Despite the fact that they are posing for formal portaits they appear to truly be very sad. The kid on the left seems like he is trying to smile but can't. The kid on the right seems so emotially wounded. Just look at his eyes - one can only imagine what these kids went though. These images are almost definately not Stalingrad related but they do show the same type of pain. I feel lucky to live in the place and time that I do!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is another great picture from my collection. This is a veteran NCO who's eyes speak volumes. The reverse of this portait reads something like "Daddy's last trip home". One can imagine he was lost after this photo was taken. His daughter is so pleased to have her Dad home but the parents are ceratinly wearing different expressions. The Mom seems to be far from happy and the NCO has such a spooky stare - its amzing how a family portait can look so uncomfortable.
          Attached Files

Comment

One last one... a wounded soldier who served with 5. Panzer Division when it was thrown into the fighting during Operation Bagration. He was wounded in action on July 4th and received his EK2 about three weeks later. You can see burns on his wrist and I would guess that is a wheel chair he is sitting in. He looks like he has been through hell and back.
            Attached Files

Comment

One of the most haunting images I have seen. His face, awards and rank tells it all.Jacques
              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but what makes me most sad about the photo that started this thread is the soldier to the left of the officer in the background. Lucky as the Officer was to go back to Germany, that soldier probably got stuck in Stalingrad and never made it out.

Comment

This photo makes me sad,
                  I don't think there is much of a chance this guy saw Germany again,
                  probably the Siberian mines was his future.
                  Attached Files

Comment

It always amazes me to see how this Stalingrad veteran aged in just three years. Left, a photograph taken in 1940 when he was 25 years old. To the right, a photograph taken around 1943, aged 28.

Comment

Interesting thread Jason This is my contribution: Three German soldiers on a farmer wagon somewhere on the eastern front. The soldier to the left looks crazy, a wounded nco with an empty look in his eyes and a soldier who looks as if he is thinking: "What the h*** went wrong...".

I have named this photo Weit ist der Weg zurück ins Heimatland. Yes, it is a long way home... Listen to this song when you study the photo (press MP3):

http://ingeb.org/Lieder/weitistd.html
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X