Pictures on Estand need discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures on Estand need discussion

As a photo collector, I wouldn't feel comfortable with them.
    Any other input?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=606341
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=606343

For me those two photos are no period prints, but done much later.

That same version of the Walter Nowotney photo is going around for some time now.

Best

EJ

Comment

I have seen that Luft photo before.

Comment

How do we behave here?
        Should I inform the mods of this?

Comment

Thanks for letting me know TK, i'll add a post on each that a discussion thread on them has been opened.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

You welcome Sir.

Comment

I am fairly certain that the Nowotny and Rommel photos are modern reproductions. The quality of the Nowotny photo is very poor and it is printed on questionable paper stock. I am confident to say that it was not printed from an original negative. The Rommel photos could be re-prints from an original negative, but the paper stock is again new or more likely fantasy AGFA BROVIRA. The Skorzeny photo has a small chance... I think that it would have to be examined once in the buyer's hands. I am not familiar with the image at all. I am very sorry for the seller, who likely spent some serious money to purchase these...

Mark

Comment

I also agree, no good.

Comment

FOr me these are reproductions too.
                  I'm pretty sure I've already seen them in period books.

Comment

my three photo sets

Aah yes, the experts. To the Nowotny photo: I have bought it in this forum. The seller had a relative who had talked it out from the brother of Nowotny. To the Rommel pics: I have bought them on this forum for the price I ask now. To the Skorzeny photo: I have bought it from a known photo dealer who also sells in this forum. As for the Nowotny and the Rommel photos I do not understand why they were not flagged first time they were sold here. I am not at all a photo collector, but I am 100% sure about the Nowotny and quite sure about the Skorzeny; since I am not an expert I cannot say about the Rommel, but to me it looks good. I think the fact that I did not scan them but made photos of them made the opinion rather adverse, but I do not have a scanner.

I must admit the pic of the pic quality is so bad that it does not let one form an opinion, which would have been a more qualified statement.

On the whole I must say that you experts are a bit too fast with flagging an item, which may result that at some time you may miss an opportunity. And - I think I am real expert in other collector field, I must tell you that you are not experts, but believers.

Simon, please delete the three offers from e-stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigromontanus View Post
                      Aah yes, the experts. To the Nowotny photo: I have bought it in this forum. The seller had a relative who had talked it out from the brother of Nowotny. To the Rommel pics: I have bought them on this forum for the price I ask now. To the Skorzeny photo: I have bought it from a known photo dealer who also sells in this forum. As for the Nowotny and the Rommel photos I do not understand why they were not flagged first time they were sold here. I am not at all a photo collector, but I am 100% sure about the Nowotny and quite sure about the Skorzeny; since I am not an expert I cannot say about the Rommel, but to me it looks good. I think the fact that I did not scan them but made photos of them made the opinion rather adverse, but I do not have a scanner.

I must admit the pic of the pic quality is so bad that it does not let one form an opinion, which would have been a more qualified statement.

On the whole I must say that you experts are a bit too fast with flagging an item, which may result that at some time you may miss an opportunity. And - I think I am real expert in other collector field, I must tell you that you are not experts, but believers.

Simon, please delete the three offers from e-stand.
                      Not a problem. Make scans in the high resolution & tell us UF test results. Could you do this?

Rostyslav.

Comment

And - I think I am real expert in other collector field, I must tell you that you are not experts, but believers.

if your photos look bad and they do from the images you provided, you will have a hard time to find a potential buyer for them...the guys here look at period photos all day long because the collect and study the paper stuff..and Im confident they know what they are talking about..

Comment

I have understood that the pics are too bad for selling the photos, therefore I withdrew the offer. I will not buy a high resolution scanner and some UV-light to prove whatever (I must confess that I do not even know what should be the effect if put under UV-light). I bought them because I had some spare money and would have been happy to see them with a real enthusiast for these, but now I will put them back in the folder with all the other photos I ran across and I will die and my children will not believe that the folder cost that much money and do with it whatever...

Comment

I have understood that the pics are too bad for selling the photos, therefore I withdrew the offer. I will not buy a high resolution scanner and some UV-light to prove whatever (I must confess that I do not even know what should be the effect if put under UV-light). I bought them because I had some spare money and would have been happy to see them with a real enthusiast for these, but now I will put them back in the folder with all the other photos I ran across and I will die and my children will not believe that the folder cost that much money and do with it whatever...
                            I am very sorry that you got swindled. Loosing even few Euros is a shame. Please do believe me that even with scanner, these still will not become original period photos (at least the Nowotny and Rommel). UV-light can be of some help, as new photos look much brighter under it (it has to do with the type of chemicals used during production after 1945-48).
                            I would suggest to ask the guys here before making purchases in the future, especially involving rare images! Best regards, Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X