Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with oilpainting

Hi!

A friend of mine recently got hold of this oil painting of Herrmann Göring.

He dont know anything about either the painting or the painter.
    The painters name seems to be L. Hoffman (or maybe Moffman???).

It seems like it would be from the ww2 era, nothing on the painting shines in UV-light, not the back or the front.

Does anyone have an opinion?
    Value?

The value for this kind of items always depends from the seller and buyer wish. These paintings are more expensive of course if the person painted is somebody well known, and these are easier to sell too.
    Of course the quality of the painting is important too, and your friend´s oil look to have it.
    If I must to give you a price, I´ll say 1000-1200$, but it´s only an approximate idea.
    One more thing. The painting was made between 1934 and 1939, and perhaps with a better research of insignias, baton, uniform... this date could be more exactly determinate.
    best regards from Spain

Comment

Ok, thank you very much Gregorio.
      Do you know something about the insignia that could help me determinate the date of the painting?
      I am worthless on insignias and uniforms.
      I think he has an EK1 on the chest and a NSDAP pin. But the rest I dont know.

Best regards,
      Lenq

Comment

We can narrow down the earliest date to 1935 due to the Pilot Badge
        introduced that year and definately not later than mid-40. Göring
        recieved the Grand Cross 19th Juli 1940 and he wouldn´t pose without
        it .

KR
        Peter

Comment

Peter,
          Thank you!
          I had just forgott about his Grand Cross.
          Ok, now we know this painting is earliest from 1935.
          Someone else?
          Best regards,
          Lenq

Comment

Which year did he get his baton?
            Was it when he became Reichsmarschall?

Comment

He recieved his Reichmarschall-baton in ivory at the same occasion.
              Previous to that he had the Generalfeldmarschall-baton from 1938.

KR
              Peter

Comment

ok, thanks.
                My friend has to sell the painting because he recently got a son, and is in need of the money. He has been offered 1000$ from a german lawyer who´s client want to buy the piece. Should he sell for that amount?

Best regards,
                Lenq

Comment

Hello again
                  As I tell you in my first message, front my point of view the price may be between 1000 and 1200 $. Of course if the buyer is very interested in the painting your friend can get some more money, and an offer of 1000 $ is a good amount to begin the bussines.
                  Good luck and best regards.

Comment

My friend are now going to sell it to the german lawyer.

Thanks for all the help!
                    Best regards,
                    Lenq
                    Sweden

Comment

Lenq

Welcome to the forum, just as a matter of interest, it may be worth doing an internet search on L. Hoffman to see what comes up.

Was your friend openly advertising this for sale?

I was wondering as he was contacted by a third party of the interested businessman?
                      Regards
                      Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Dear Simon,

Thanks!

My friend did not openly advertise this item.
                        I got the german lawyers e-mail from the store I frame my photos. I mailed him and asked if he had any clients who was interested. One of them were.

He asked if he should "send someone to pick it up", but we agreed that I should ship it. It is a pretty far way to travel.

I tried to search the internet for L. Hoffman, but I didnt really find anything, unsure of what more I can search on exept for the name...

Comment

Unfortunately Hoffmann is one of the most common German names. And no, it cannot be Moffman or "Muffman"!

On a serious note, if it is Hoffman (witout the double N) it MIGHT be an US (Americanized Hoffmann) painter, post 1945. With just one N that name is a bit unsual for a German.
                          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Dear Frank,

Yes it might be, but the back of the painting does not shine in UV-light, and it seems rather old.

Best regards,
                            Lenq

Comment

I paint on linen canvas, and it does not glow under UV light, even though it's new. To accurately date a painting like this, it needs to be examined in person. There are some pigments that were in use in the 30s that are no longer used, although quality oil paint is available that would be hard to date. The style and quality should be taken into consideration. In this case, to my eye, it doesn't look professionally done, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't done during the period. If I owned it, and someone offered me $1000.00, I would take it in a heartbeat!
                              Erich
                              Originally posted by Lenq
                              Dear Frank,

Yes it might be, but the back of the painting does not shine in UV-light, and it seems rather old.

Best regards,
                              Lenq
                              Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X