SS early period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS early period.

Friends, what is possible to say about period of this photo ? On the sleeve is number 3

This appears to me to be a photo taken during a time of uniform transition within the SS. The group pictured is a squad ("SS-Schar") of the 3rd company, though the battalion (SS-Batallion) and the regiment ("SS-Standarte") are unknown from what we can see from the photo. All are wearing the early SS-Traditions Uniform which included the M-1927 eagle/swaz on the coffee-can cap and the early version of the skull and crossed-bones from the WWI and earlier period of the Death's Head Hussars. The squad leader seated in the center wears the rank of an SS-Sturmführer as it existed in the transitional period of May 1933 to September 1934. At that time the new Black Service Uniform was being adopted throughout the SS ranks, which makes me think that this photo may be a sort of a 'reunion' or a memorial piece which was taken to record what the men of this squad were wearing at the time the new uniforms were coming into use. The flag at the rear of the group is an old one, made prior to the standardization of the proportions of the swastika within the circle (which also came into general use by 1933) and it may have been made by one of the early members of this squad or perhaps one of their wives or mothers. And interesting piece; thanks for sharing it with us!

Br. James

Comment

I was going to guess late 1920's, but with what Br.James said, I guess it can't be earlier than May '33.

Comment

Br. James

Thanks for this information.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X