Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German WW2 35mm film-Hard to find?

Hi

Is 35mm film desirable? I have never gotten any in and have no idea on it.

Is it widely available or hard to find??

Thanks,
    Dion
    Attached Files
    Iam Uncle Sam
    That’s who Iam
    Been hiding out
    In a rock and roll band

Attached Files
    Iam Uncle Sam
    That’s who Iam
    Been hiding out
    In a rock and roll band

Comment

Looks like some interesting footage there Dion! perhaps you can transfer it to dvd?

Kevin

Comment

I have seen similar formats being chopped into sections and sold as negatives on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl B View Post
          I have seen similar formats being chopped into sections and sold as negatives on eBay.
          That's too bad. That looks like an audio track on the right side. which is effectively destroyed when it gets chopped up.

Of course it's also possible that this is one of a number of surviving prints of this film, but hate to see old stuff like this get destroyed.

Comment

I'm fairly certain I've seen the segment with the Luftwaffe officers before (by the way, you are showing it reversed). Is the other segment - showing the soldiers in the snow - a separate film or has it been spliced to the second film? They were definitely produced for propaganda use and not privately made since very few Germans could afford to buy and use a movie camera capable of making sound recordings (i.e Arriflex 35). I think you may have films which were originally made for "Die Deutsche Wochenschau".

seekwhence

Comment

Originally posted by münster View Post
              Hi

Is 35mm film desirable? I have never gotten any in and have no idea on it.

Is it widely available or hard to find??

Thanks,
              Dion
              Desirability depends entirely on content. Films pop up from time to time. I've got a few in my collection (all Stalingrad related). Prices range from 75-250 EUR.

Theoretically, there should be quite a few copies about (I'm talking about Wochenschau) because they were distributed to theatres all over the country.

Jason

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I figured also it wwas something maybe to do with the wochenshau.
                Iam Uncle Sam
                That’s who Iam
                Been hiding out
                In a rock and roll band

Comment

What you have there is definitely a reel of 35mm film from "Die Deutschen Wochenschau" or German Weekly Newsreel. Be careful with the film around any type
                  of heat, flame, light bulb, etc. During the war the Germans printed all of there 35mm films on cellulose nitrate film and that stuff is highly flammable and combustable!

Go to this link for exact details!
                  http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/cellulose.pdf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X