Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer-Grenadier document grouping

Hello everybody,

Two weeks ago I bought a small group containing a Wehrpaß and a portrait photograph of a Gefreiter who served with a Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment and was hit by granade shrapnel in his buttocks, hospitalized and finally died of typhus whilst still in a Feldlazarett three months later. He was awarded the Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse and the Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten 41/42. The grouping also included a small document which was sent to the father of the soldier about the Wehrpaß of his son which was given to him as a rememberance.

I was already quite happy with the grouping, until I was e-mailed by the seller that he was also going to offer the original Panzerkampfabzeichen award document for sale. As I really like complete groupings I did not hesitate and bought it right away and yesterday I received it. The document was signed by Oberst Wolfgang Glaesemer who was the Regimentskommandeur and is in a good condition. However, the document is a bit confusing. The date of the document is February 1942 and stamped with "Kavallerie-Schützen-Regiment 6" whilst it was already renamed to Schützen-Regiment 6 in March 1940. Furthermore the unit of the Gefreiter on the document is "Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 6" whilst the Regiment was renamed to that in July 1942, five months later. Would this be a bad sign or is the document still OK?

Below are some photographs of the grouping!

Portrait of the Gefreiter, wearing two of his awards.

Panzerkampfabzeichen award document.

His Wehrpaß.

Wehrpaß entries regarding his wound and death.

Document which was sent to his father.

With kind regards,

Koen.

Looks fine to me. As units were constantly in a state of movement, awards weren't always issued immediately when they were earned. The date on the doc is probably when it was earned. However, the unit stamp was probably done when it was awarded, a few months later.

best
    Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I agree with Hank !

Regards,

Peter

Comment

But why is it the old style without silver or bronze listed?
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JUNGCO View Post
          But why is it the old style without silver or bronze listed?
          Jeff
          Perhaps - and I'm really just guessing here - it was either:

A. What they had, so they used it.
          B. Self-evident (to the clerk or unit) so they didn't feel the need to differentiate.

Like I say, those are just guesses that pop to mind. No telling.

best
          Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

I was actually also a bit worried by the fact that the paper almost looked a bit grainy with a lot of brownish spots on it. Could this just be the kind of paper used? I shall make some more photographs of the Wehrpaß tomorrow, including the awards page etc.

Close-up of the brown/grainy marks.

With kind regards,

Koen.

Comment

Here is another PAB doc from the same printer (Wehrkreisdruckerei IX Kassel). It is an earlier version.

http://www.mymilitaria.it/liste_03/rommel_panzer.htm

http://www.mymilitaria.it/liste_03/i..._panzer_1g.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X