Writing on wall in France, SS unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing on wall in France, SS unit?

Anyone can decipher this? photo taken postwar (1946)

Hi,

there is a "panzer" symbol and "A.R." could be the name of a company/battalion/regiment commander ?
    There is also a "1" (but the number is maybe incomplete).
    LSSAH, Das Reich, Hohenstaufen, Frunsberg, HJ, Götz ?

Any info on the location ? Normandy ? South or East of France ?

See You

Vince

Comment

Here is the back of the photo

On the top it says "Sunday, November 3, 1946" but I can't make out the word at the bottom "elampes" ? I unfortunately don't read French very well...

I was thinking if the writing "A.R 1" on the wall could be "Artillerie Regiment 1" ? it also looks like it says "7a " underneath the panzer rhomboid symbol, anyone familiar with these abbreviations? you see them on road signs too

Comment

imo..... V = 5th and the large 1 could be half of a directional arrow...k

Comment

Hi,

the location is Etampes, located 40km to the south of Paris.

No we have to check which unit passed by the city in 1944.

See You

Vince

Comment

Great!

Finding the proper location of the photo makes a big difference

Comment

Definitely 5th SS Art. Reg. with arrow pointing in the the direction of probably regimental command element.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                Definitely 5th SS Art. Reg. with arrow pointing in the the direction of probably regimental command element.
                This does not have to be divisional arty could also be an art reg part of the I or II SS Corps.

Comment

Not aware that the 5th (Wiking) were ever in France. Taking how the German list their units, could this be 5th Battalion, SS-Art Reg 1? (LAH)?

Comment

Originally posted by ss3 View Post
                    could this be 5th Battalion, SS-Art Reg 1? (LAH)?
                    This makes sense as well or even more sense as Roman numerials were used for batallion designation and regular ones for regiments.

Parts of Wiking may have been in France during the war for refitting (though you are correct not for battle).

Comment

Arrow?

I think that Karlo is right that the "1" is in fact an arrow pointing upwards

The panzer rhomboid should indicate a fully tracked/ armoured unit, so is this graffitti a road sign saying that further ahead is the "A.R" of the fifth battallion of an SS armoured unit? I think I see a "7a" beneath the rhomboid, would that be a seventh - "aufklärungs" (recon) company?

Comment

Hi,

if the tags are from summer 1944, maybe they are showing identifications for more than 1 unit, as many convoys may have used the same road/identification checkpoint ?

See You

Vince

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X