Preliminary Ritterkreuz document, Hptm. Eduard Altacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preliminary Ritterkreuz document, Hptm. Eduard Altacher

This document purports to be the preliminary Ritterkreuz award document to Hauptmann Eduard Altacher, GJR 143. I did a search here and found a different "Altacher" RKT doc that was judged to be a fake. Is this one original, or another copy? The font, signature and stamp on this document are different than the fake posted previously, this one has a Burgdorf signature but I can't tell if it is a real signature or stamped/autopen. Any comments on this document would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Stamp and Burgdorf signature. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

Comment

No comments on this? I plan to list this for sale on the E-Stand. Perhaps this could be moved to the Crosses subforum?
      Last edited by CWP; 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Chris i'm sorry to say that i don't like it one bit. The typeface is wrong, the stamp is wrong, Burgdorf was a General by this point and i believe Linnarz was signing RK docs during this period. The print quality of the doc is also off as well.

The previous Altacher doc is actually closer than this one
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I'm just comparing it to the numerous examples shown in the Forman documents book and in that volume it has three RK citations from the same month and all are signed by Viktor Linnarz and comparing the stamps on those, and on the Burgdorf signed examples, to the one shown here shows that this one doesn't match any of them with a marked difference in the style of the lettering.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
              Chris i'm sorry to say that i don't like it one bit. The typeface is wrong, the stamp is wrong, Burgdorf was a General by this point and i believe Linnarz was signing RK docs during this period. The print quality of the doc is also off as well.

The previous Altacher doc is actually closer than this one
              Sorry Chris...Simon is right on with his comments.

Regards,
              John

Comment

Chris-

Can you tell us who has this document for sale/who has offered it to you?

Thanks,
                Rob

Comment

Rob, a local collector friend is slowly beginning to sell his collection that he has accumulated over several decades. Most recently he offered me a big manila envelope full of paperwork- Feldpost stationery, a Fuehrerschein, various low-value forms, 6 or 7 miscellaneous award documents (nothing really special), and this, which I suspected was fake. The majority of the award documents are one-look obvious original items. I asked him about this RK document and he told me he didn't know where he had gotten it or whether or not it was original, in fact he didn't know what most of the paperwork actually was, it was never a collection focus for him and he must have gotten this stuff somehow from veterans or in deals along with other material. I doubt he paid very much for any of it, years ago. I know he has had it for many years as also in the smae envelope was an old typewritten list of the stuff, that includes this fake document. He is not a member here but I told him I would post this document for opinions for him. I don't think he will be surprised to hear that it is a fake. He doesn't really know the values of these items and I think he would be shocked by what this would have been worth if it had been original, I also know he wouldn't want to sell something as original when it is not. I am grateful for the comments on this item and I know my friend appreciates it too, as he begins the enormous task of selling a lifetime of collected material.

Comment

Good thing you didn't put it up on the e-stand then as you're not allowed to sell on behalf of others
                    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon, I have already bought some of the material from my friend and very soon will make a deal to buy the rest of it. He doesn't have the time to take pictures of each item and sell it individually so he has been selling the stuff to me in large lots as he digs stuff out of his attic. Part of the buying process is figuring out the value of the items so I can make an offer that is fair to my friend, he has taken care of these things for years and is not giving them away. I will be keeping some of the material and offering some of it on the E-Stand. I wish I could keep everything but I don't have the space and I can't afford everything I would like to own, I have to sell some things so that I can afford to keep the items I really want. Had this been real it would have been part of the deal but would not have been an item I would have kept.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                        Rob, a local collector friend is slowly beginning to sell his collection that he has accumulated over several decades. Most recently he offered me a big manila envelope full of paperwork- Feldpost stationery, a Fuehrerschein, various low-value forms, 6 or 7 miscellaneous award documents (nothing really special), and this, which I suspected was fake. The majority of the award documents are one-look obvious original items. I asked him about this RK document and he told me he didn't know where he had gotten it or whether or not it was original, in fact he didn't know what most of the paperwork actually was, it was never a collection focus for him and he must have gotten this stuff somehow from veterans or in deals along with other material. I doubt he paid very much for any of it, years ago. I know he has had it for many years as also in the smae envelope was an old typewritten list of the stuff, that includes this fake document. He is not a member here but I told him I would post this document for opinions for him. I don't think he will be surprised to hear that it is a fake. He doesn't really know the values of these items and I think he would be shocked by what this would have been worth if it had been original, I also know he wouldn't want to sell something as original when it is not. I am grateful for the comments on this item and I know my friend appreciates it too, as he begins the enormous task of selling a lifetime of collected material.

Thanks very much, Chris. Good to know he probably (hopefully!) didn't pay too much for it!

Best,
                        Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X