Several Generals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several Generals

Which Generals appear in this photo please? Does anyone know what is happening? Are they POWs?
    Thanks,
    Max.
    Attached Files

this is a part of a famous russian documental movie - german pows on the Red Square..after Stalingrad, if I remember correctly

Comment

I agree, probably after Stalingrad when the Russians liked to 'parade' their captive senior officers- allowing them to keep all symbols of rank and medals so as to make a big deal about it. I heard that for awhile they even made Paulus carry his field marshal baton everywhere with him, because of the photo opportunities it gave.
      But I find it hard to believe it's Red Square with those broken windows in the building behind them. Red Square didn't get bombed by the Germans did it? (I'm asking... I really don't know).

Comment

Originally posted by randy@treadways View Post
        I agree, probably after Stalingrad when the Russians liked to 'parade' their captive senior officers- allowing them to keep all symbols of rank and medals so as to make a big deal about it. I heard that for awhile they even made Paulus carry his field marshal baton everywhere with him, because of the photo opportunities it gave.
        But I find it hard to believe it's Red Square with those broken windows in the building behind them. Red Square didn't get bombed by the Germans did it? (I'm asking... I really don't know).
        these are streets near the Red Square..

Comment

Can we identify any of the Generals?
          Max.

Comment

generals

As several of them are wearing "M-43" caps it would have to be well after Stalingrad.

Comment

Originally posted by randy@treadways View Post
              Did FM Paulus get a field marshals baton then?---- Seems unlikely

Comment

Definitely not Stalingrad generals. Remember, Stalingrad concluded in the middle of winter.

I believe these generals are being paraded after the collapse of Army Group Centre in 1944. There's an excellent investigative thread somewhere on the Internet where several guys have IDed all the generals.

Jason

Comment

Here's another photo of the same group:

Captured German generals of Army Group Center -taken prisoner during Operation Bagration- before the infamous march through the streets of Moscow, July 1944.
                  Source: http://www.ww2incolor.com/german/capgens%23.html

- - -
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                    There's an excellent investigative thread somewhere on the Internet where several guys have IDed all the generals.
                    OK, found it.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=56615

Most of the generals are identified on the second page.

Comment

Thanks.
                      Max.

Comment

Originally posted by nick-j View Post
                        Did FM Paulus get a field marshals baton then?---- Seems unlikely
                        On 25 August 1943, three weeks after the capitulation, Paulus asked the German military attache in Turkey in a letter for six pairs of shoulder pieces, which the Russians accepted. I don't think he was sent a baton, too.

Trebes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X