StuG / Pz. Jäg. Abt. 72 Document Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StuG / Pz. Jäg. Abt. 72 Document Group

Hello. Today I'd like to show a nice document group for the StuG / Pz. Jäg. collectors at the WAF.

The grouping is of Gefreiter Anton W. who served with Panzerjäger Abteilung 72 which was part of 72. Infanterie Division.
    Rob J. was so kind to tell me that Pz. Jäg. Abt. 72 was most likely equipped with StuG III, Ausführung "G" in 1944.

Gefreiter W. was awarded with EKII, Sturmabzeichen and Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz.

The EKII document was signed by Generalmajor and Kommandeur of Inf. Div. 72 "Dr. Hermann Hohn".
    I wasn't able to find out something about "Hauptmann Grashoff" who signed the Sturmabzeichen and Verwundetenabzeichen documents.

There is not much to be found on the Internet regarding Pz. Jäg. Abt. 72. So I'll be deeply grateful for any further information (other than provided by "www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de").

I hope you'll like the group.

Btw. I'm not 100% sure at the moment if the soldier shown in the portrait photo is Gefreiter W. The seller says so but a member of the German MFF claims to have had it in his possession (what I strongly impeach for some reasons).
    I'll keep you updated regarding this matter.

Regards
    Last edited by Oberbootsmann; 05-05-2012, 06:36 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice group of docs. From the date of the awards the Kompanie was probably using StuG IIIG's.

Photo-02_gvh.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Edward View Post
          Nice group of docs. From the date of the awards the Kompanie was probably using StuG IIIG's.

[ATTACH]2188790[/ATTACH]
          Thanks, Jerry. I know that Angel Farre owned a Wehrpass of a soldier of the same unit.
          I already have sent him a PM. I hope he still owns the Wehrpass as he could tell me where 1. / Pz Jäg Abt. 72 fought at the time.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Oberbootsmann View Post

Btw. I'm not 100% sure at the moment if the soldier shown in the portrait photo is Gefreiter W. The seller says so but a member of the German MFF claims to have had it in his possession (what I strongly impeach for some reasons).
            I'll keep you updated regarding this matter.

Regards
            The Panzermann on the photo belongs to a Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung around 1939/40.

It cannot be Anton Wickel

Last edited by naxos; 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
              The Panzermann on the photo belongs to a Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung around 1939/40.

It cannot be Anton Wickel

Thanks for your posting. What makes you sure that it is a Pz Aufkl. uniform? Can you tell from the photo the colour of the collar tabs?

Btw., why can't it be Wickel? We don't know what units he was with 4 years earlier.

Comment

What makes you sure that it is a Pz Aufkl. uniform?
                The gothic "A" on the shoulder strap.

Btw., why can't it be Wickel? We don't know what units he was with 4 years earlier.
                Four years later he would have been at least a Gefreiter (more likely a NCO) and not still a Schütze.

Comment

The gothic "A" on the shoulder strap.
                  You are right, I apologize. I haven't seen that.

Four years later he would have been at least a Gefreiter (more likely a NCO) and not still a Schütze.
                  That also makes sense.

Perhaps the German guy was right when telling me that he owned that portrait before.

Regards

Comment

Perhaps the German guy was right when telling me that he owned that portrait before.

Regards
                    Who knows.

Nice documents, btw

Comment

You are right, I apologize. I haven't seen that.

That also makes sense.

Regards
                      Why would he have transferred from the Panzertruppen to the Artillerie ? The Pz Jgr Abt were manned by men from the Artillerie and not the Panzertruppen.

Comment

I wasn't able to find out something about "Hauptmann Grashoff" who signed the Sturmabzeichen and Verwundetenabzeichen documents.

Hi

Great group.

I think that the IAB & BWB were signed by Hauptmann Karl Heinz Strathoff, German Cross in gold holder (11.09.1944)

http://www.ww2awards.com/person/19264

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by windhund View Post
                          Hi

Great group.

I think that the IAB & BWB were signed by Hauptmann Karl Heinz Strathoff, German Cross in gold holder (11.09.1944)

http://www.ww2awards.com/person/19264

Best regards
                          Thank you very much.

I've read "Grashoff" instead of "Strathoff". Another small riddle solved.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by windhund View Post
                            Hi

Great group.

I think that the IAB & BWB were signed by Hauptmann Karl Heinz Strathoff ...

Best regards
                            Agree

Comment

He received the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen (ie. General Assault Badge). Not the IAB. Correct award for StuG manner. icon_mil_wink.gif

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X