Olympics opening ceremony ticket berlin 1936

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympics opening ceremony ticket berlin 1936

Someone has offered this to a friend of mine who wants to know if original or fake. The seller told him to make an offer. Which would be the current value ?
    If original, what would you offer?
    Thanks in advance / regards
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Don't forget, this stadium had 100,000 seats... so tickets are not extreme rarities or anything like that. I wouldn't give more than $10 U.S. for it, but that's just personal collectability, not the result of any market analysis.
      If you have a ticket from the VIP area, it's going to be worth more. (see the map on the back of the ticket... the Führerloge- where Hitler was located- was at mid-field where the grandstands are 'indented'-obviously a special area. The areas to both the right and left of the Führerloge were for VIPs and have block numbers on your map. You should be able to find Block 10 (your ticket) on the map. It probably wasn't in a VIP area, but you never know.
      I think that map on the back of the ticket also codes the blocks into pricing codes- categories I, II and III- with the endzone tickets being cheapest.
      (Personally, having attended the 1984 Olympics, I'd have chosen one of the cheap tickets near the Olympic fame so as to get a closeup view of the lighting ceremony- *and* in 1936 all the dignitaries arrived by walking right through that end and walking down the steps!) Looks like the price of your ticket was RM 15,-

Your ticket has the stub removed, which implies that it was actually used that day (the stubs were removed at the ticket gate). The stub end is also perforated, which is not so easy to fake if this were a forgery.

Anybody know what RM 15,- equates to today, given inflation over the decades, etc.? How did it stack up against the average income of a German worker?

P.S.- found a better pic of the back of a ticket. Block 10 was not a bad seat (this stadium didn't really have *any* bad seats, but block 10 was just under the press box on the side of the stadium which had all the sprints- like the 100 meters--, and where the "oath" was taken during the opening ceremonies). And block 10 offered a great view of the dignitary area from above.

Check here:
      http://www.ioneil.com/
      She was offering an opening ceremony ticket in a cheaper location than yours (original price RM 3,- instead of RM 15,-) and with a corner of the ticket damaged, with estimated value $125, but it didn't sell, so she offered it again last month (item #344 in her catalog) with the estimate down to $100. You might check with her as to what she finally sold it for, if she'll tell you. She might also give you her guess as to the value of *this* ticket.
      Last edited by randy@treadways; 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X