No announcement yet.

SEPP DIETRICH portrait: Wartime ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what would be the time period of the photo on my postcard.... with just one pip on his collar tab? Just wondering. Is the caption Obergruppenführer later than the actual photo with one pip? (It wouldn't be the first time that Hofmann updated a caption for a promotion even when an updated photo was not available).

The added caption 'General der Waffen SS' also points to a war years printing.

Comment

Hi Randy,

I believe your photo post card was created to honor Sepp Dietrich upon his award of the Oakleaves to his Knight's Cross, which took place on December 31, 1941. He was the 41st person to receive that award. The uniform he is wearing -- with the single pip on his collar tabs -- denoted the rank of SS-Obergruppenführer according to the rank system in effect from 1939 through 1940, but no further uniform changes took place until the final system which came in 1942-45. At the time Dietrich was awarded the Oakleaves he held the rank of SS-Obergruppenführer and General der Waffen-SS, as your post card states, so he would have worn the collar tabs he was photographed in until the uniform code system changed in April of 1942. The 1942-45 system provided for two pips on the tabs of those who held the rank of SS-Obergruppenführer and photos do exist of Dietrich wearing the Black Panzer Wrapper uniform with the two-pip collar tabs. His final promotion was to the newly-created rank of SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer on April 20, 1942, at which time he became entitled to wear the three-piped collar tabs and boards of the rank of SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer. But Sepp Dietrich was ever his own man, especially in terms of uniform style, and there exists a photo of him wearing the Black Panzer Wrapper with collar tabs bearing two pips as well as his Knight's Cross with Oakleaves and Swords, and he didn't receive the Swords until March of 1943, which means that he chose to continue to wear the uniform of an SS-Obergruppenführer for almost a year after he held the rank of SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer! Perhaps he didn't want to bother changing the collar tabs on his Black Panzer Wrapper, at least until he won the Diamonds in August of 1944?!

Br. James

Comment

I like the bullion eagle on the visor.

Comment

Originally posted by PANZERPIONIERE View Post
          I like the bullion eagle on the visor.
          Well observed, obviously gold coloured bullion, privately made, like
          his 'Adolf Hitler' cufftitle and armeagle. Sepp Dietrich was the only
          Waffen-SS general to wear golden insignia, like his Army counterparts.

Comment

Sepp and his golden insignia after April 1942...
            Attached Files

Comment

i would feel comfortable with this portrait,my experience shows me hoffman studios had a catalog number,thats my way to discribe it,for the more major photos his studio took.as far as the pencil inscription,your choice,i would probably remove it........nice photo.........dave

Comment

Thank you Dave.

I feel the portrait, which is quite big, will be a great addition to my slowly growing Sepp Dietrich group and LAH collection as such.

Comment

markus...........most welcome............dave

Comment

Br.James, thanks for the info about the 1942 uniform change that made Obergruppenführer a "two pipper" instead of one pip.

Comment

You're quite welcome, Randy -- it's fun to do this sort of research! And thanks to Markus for providing two more photos of Sepp Dietrich wearing his KC with Oakleaves and Swords with a uniform that indicated the rank of an SS-Obergruppenführer...when he was awarded the Swords almost a year after his promotion to the rank of SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer!

Best regards,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X