Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very interesting Gebirgsjager General Heinz Wetzel grouping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a grouping of major historical importance, the history of a gebirgsjager officer who fought on all major fronts, and the history starts with the upcoming
    of the third reich till the end somewhere in servia fighting the partisans when he commited suicide without knowing that he had been promoted to general.
    This last bit of info was found in a book because by then he stopped writing his diaries.

The family has ask me to sell this to a historian .

Check out the inventory
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice indeed!

According to my records he was commander of I./GJR 143 from sometime in 1940 until early July 1942, then commander of GJR 136 from then until 16.3.44
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Pics 31.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting, thank you for showing it!

PS: Exceptionally OM!

Comment

Originally posted by Overlord1944 View Post
            This is a grouping of major historical importance, the history of a gebirgsjager officer who fought on all major fronts, and the history starts with the upcoming
            of the third reich till the end somewhere in servia fighting the partisans when he commited suicide without knowing that he had been promoted to general.
            This last bit of info was found in a book because by then he stopped writing his diaries.

The family has ask me to sell this to a historian .

Check out the inventory
            From russian:

The gates swing open
            The path will be free
            Down with the Stalinist government
            Long live freedom

Comment

Very nice, amazing paper items and photos

Comment

I notice a lot of the photos are 'PK' or unit photographer ones and many are commonly seen in GJ albums from the divisions which operated on the Murmansk front.

The 'Tiroler hütte' was in fact a 'frontkampferheim' behind the front lines, where the troops could rotate out of the frontlines for a bit of rest without having to go much further back, into Norway.
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

He died as Oberst, the nomination as General arrived after his death to my grandmother.

Here you have the last thing I’ve found, a book where they explain the he committed suicide to avoid being captured by the partisans. The place and date coincides with our family story, but we always thought that the partisans killed jim

Just download the book as PFD here and search for Wetzel, he appears  3 times
                  http://es.scribd.com/doc/82023356/Fr...platz-Kroatien

Here he appears also at the end of war in this Infantry Division
                  http://www.divisionsarchiv.com/92_In...division/index

Please contact me if some collector is interested in the grouping.

Comment

The grandson says here that the PK pictures are of a differente size, but most of them were shot by his grandfather with his leicka and have the same size
                    as the famlily pictures.

Comment

Yes, a lot of very nice shots i've not seen before but all 8 in pic.31 above are 'pk'

For example, the top right picture on page 9 in 'pic.31 is to be found in the 1943 book 'Das Gelbe Edelweiss'
                      Last edited by Simon O.; 04-25-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

For Pic #18, would you be kind enough to swing a little to the right -- would like to know who Generalleutant von... was and the name of the Oberst on the extreme right.

Cheers
                        Elwyn

Comment

The General is Ritter von Hengl

Comment

I have a lot of these books, and even talked to the authors about the originals of the pictures, and they answered that there is no way to reclaim copyrights etc. As most of the fotos were copied a lot of times inside the units!

Ernesto Martí Wetzel

Comment

This is what we see very often. This series crops up regularly in albums on E-bay. Here's a couple from one of my albums, from an officer of the 2 GD.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here's the perfect example of what i was talking about with regards to the PK\unit photographer photos

http://www.ebay.de/itm/fotoalbum-fot...item4ab708abf1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X