Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1933 B Jacobs Oil Portrait of Hitler - history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1933 B Jacobs Oil Portrait of Hitler - history?

Ok... I have done my research and am left lacking so I turn to the ever helpful forum for help. Can anyone tell me who took the photo (pictured below) of Hitler that is obviously the shot that B Jacobs made famous in 1933 with his oil rendition of it? Does anyone know where this photo I have pictured below might have been pulled from... it has an edge that looks like it originally was a page in a book of sorts - anyone have a book of the era that contains this same exact extremely clear image? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments! DP

Any suggestions?

75 views and no help thus far??? ...Is there a more appropriate or specific category I should be posting these questions in...?

Comment

I strongly suspect it's a Hoffmann photo. I don't think Hitler did studio portrait sittings for anybody else.

Hoffmann also published color postcards of the Jacobs portrait, so they probably had an agreement with each other.

Comment

It is indeed an original Hoffmann studio photo taken in late 1933 / early 1934. This date of sitting is evident because Hitler was giving this photo as a gift in summer 1934. It had to be a recent image as he would not present an old photograph.
        Max.
        Last edited by max history; 04-28-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

In Summary...

Ok, so in summary, the photo-portrait here of Hitler was taken by Hoffmann late 1933/early 1934 and then soon after used by B Jacobs to do his famous oil rendition of it as a gift from Hitler in the summer of 1934. If I have it right, that is very helpful and interesting. Feel free to fine-tune my summary! Thanks.

Comment

Max, correct me if I'm misinterpreting, but I think Max was saying that Hitler was giving out prints of the Hoffmann photo in 1934. He didn't say anything about Hitler giving away prints of the Jacobs painting too, although that is possible.

Comment

Yes, that is correct. I know Hitler presented this particular photograph in 1934 as I have a signed, dated and dedicated example.
              Max.

Comment

Looks like a print or copy more than a studio photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Vid View Post
                  Looks like a print or copy more than a studio photo.
                  If you read the first post, he says it appears to have come from a book.
                  Max.

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
                    If you read the first post, he says it appears to have come from a book.
                    Max.
                    I think they might as well come from a book and they are similar to what you would see come out of some of the books. I guess they are standard propaganda run offs that you could buy in a store and frame. Have had several of them and the tissue separators make them seem that way maybe.

Best,

Kris

Comment

Photo...

Photo #3 above (of the backside): it does have a glue-paper residue of sorts running along the side like it was pulled from a book or portfolio... I was hoping if this was the case someone might recognize the source. DP

Comment

Gratitude

Thanks for all the helpful comments and observations.
                        DP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X