MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four Pictures -- HJ, Munich maybe, dining hall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Pictures -- HJ, Munich maybe, dining hall?

Hi guys,

I could use some help with these four photos I just picked up ay my local fleamarket.

The big one of the HJ kid, I'm not sure it's an original print, but it was with some pages from an original photo album from the same guy (which I didn't get as the asking price was too high). This photo is 17cm x 12cm (7" x 4.75") and somewhat matte in appearance.

The three small ones all have some print on the reverse and seem to have been cut out of something, or previously glued to something in two cases. These are from a separate lot. These are all about 6cm (2.5") square and high-gloss.

Any info about the subject matter, originality, etc., would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Reverses.
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Comment

Bigger I hope.
      Attached Files
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Comment

The two in post #3:

The first one I believe is at the top of the steps of the Feldhernhalle in Munich, honoring those killed in the 1923 Putsch. I think this would be before they moved the coffins to the Ehrentempel (next to the Führerbau) in 1937 (or was it 1935?) It's interesting that the names are not in the same sequence left-to-right as in your photo. Those are said to have been Hitler Youth honor guards.

The second one is harder, but I think the symbol is the RAD (Reich Arbeitsdienst) or in English, Reich Labor Service.
        Last edited by randy@treadways; 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Randy. Interesting that they switched the order of the names.

Can anyone give me more info about the HJ photo? Is is a good period picture?

How about the origin of the little ones? I notice they say Hoffmann on the reverse.

I appreciate your help -- I'm not a paper guy.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Comment

pics

Nice photos !

M

Comment

The three small photos give the appearance of belonging in cigarette card albums, especially since two were apparently glued onto something. I agree with Randy that the one is from the Feldherrnhalle ceremony of 8/9 November honoring the 'Putsch martyrs,' and the pylons bearing the individual names together with "Zum Appell" -- He Calls -- are examples of the ones placed along the march route from the Bürgerbraukeller to the Feldherrnhalle each year. The Temple of Honor -- Ehrentempel -- was inaugurated in 1935 and that was the occasion of the re-uniting the remains of the sixteen 'martyrs' in their bronze sarcophaguses. The photo Randy provides at the bottom of note #4 appears to have been taken on the night of 8/9 November, 1935 as the coffins lay in state overnight in preparation for their being ceremonially transported to their new resting places at the Ehrentempel the next day. From that photo it doesn't appear that there were large wreaths set at the base of each pylon as the coffins lay in state. My thought is that each year for the ceremony of the Munich 'martyrs' the interior of the Feldherrnhalle was decorated to resemble that night in 1935, though with the large wreaths in place of the coffins; indeed, looking at Randy's photo of the Feldherrnhalle and that of streptile, neither the order of the named pylons or the floral arrangement displays are from the same year's event.

Br. James

Comment

Thank you for all the information Br. James. Really interesting stuff.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X