Provenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provenance

Hi all, Iwas reading in the Eva Braun photo thread about provenance. What do you all consider provenance to be or does it vary from item to item? I will try and post some photo's but what do you think about the following:

I have 3 cheques of the 'Hausintendantur Des Fuhrers-Berlin'. From Cheque booklet No.15 at the postal clerk office Berlin, Account No. 7300.

They were apparently acquired by Capitaine V. Ziegelmeyer who headed the French Military Tribunal in Berlin in 1945 and who later remained as Chief of the Civil Administration of the French military Government.

Two of the cheques have a handwritten note from Cpt Ziegelmeyer - "Le Fuhrer Payerz" (The Fuhrers Payment) and an additional certification as to the place of discovery in a safe of the Fuhrers Bunker on October 29, 1945.

One cheque is pre-printed 'Bank of the Fuhrer' and 2 of the cheques bear the French Militay Government - Grand Berlin Ink Stampings.

In 1964 Ziegelmeyer wrote a book "Le Disparu Du 30 Avril' which contains many photographs taken by him in Berlin some of which show Russian Troops and the entrance to the bunker. I have obtained a copy but it is in French so I don't know if he refers specifically to the cheques.

I have no idea if the provenance is enough or even if they are worth anything, that said, lots of stuff was recovered from the Berghof but does something from the Berlin Bunker have any special meaning?

pro

Provenance is where did the item come from. In our hobby it is very important. The chain of ownwership. Plus, the honesty, quality of the seller, does matter !

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X