Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beutepanzer Question

Hi guys,

Here is a photo taken at Le Garand Palais, showing French Somua 35-S in parade.

Was wondering if anyone had a guess at a Unit ID?

From my limited research, I have come up with 3 possibilities so far...

** 201. Panzer Regiment - Panzer Brigade 100 (w/ 36 Somua 35S around Dec 1940)
    ** Panzer Ersatz Abt 100
    ** II./Panzer Regiment 22 (21 Pz. Div.)

Does anyone have any other input/opinions about units using numerous Somua tanks, or even info on Le Garand Palais, or estimated date of photo?

I know 2nd battalion of Panzer Regiment 22 had something like 39 Somua tanks in June of 44', But not sure on any numbers at an earlier date....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 12thPanzer; 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM.

Probably II./Pz.Abt.202 on parade in Paris on 9 July 1941.
    source: Panzer Tracts 19-1 Beutepanzer

Comment

Bill, If the dates of the parade and of the photograph tie up that is great.
      However your limited research has missed out a lot of units, every Panzer Division which returned to France for rebuilding in the period 1941/43 started its training with French Beute panzer while waiting for the delivery of German tanks so it is quite possible for these Somua to belong to any of those Panzer Divisions. Of the units that you have listed Panzer Regiment 201 was indeed formed in December 1940 and equipped with French tanks, it was converted to German tanks in December 1941 before going into action. Panzer Brigade 100 was a "staff" unit for controlling Panzer Regiments equipped with French tanks and became the Stab/Panzer Regiment 100 in December 1942 and then was renamed Stab/Panzer Regiment 22 in May 1944.
      Here are two threads with lots of information on Pz E u Ausb Abt 100.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...28Long+post%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...y+Long+post%29

Comment

Hi Alan,
        Thanks for the links and your time, I am very familiar with them. Neils put alot of work into the missing-lynx postings, concerning the La Fiere Bridge Battle.
        I also understand that what I was asking, was a broad question, and could be a large number of units. However, I was looking at units who utilized Beutepanzer maybe consistently or in decent numbers and would be parading near/around Le Garand Palais. I posted in chance that someone might have recognised the parade, any specific details in the photo, etc etc to narrow down the possibilities. A longshot, yes...but I've been suprised before!

Nox, thanks! Panzer Abteilung 202 was also a unit that was controlled by 100. Panzer Brigade. I think there is a good chance it might be one of these

Thank you both again
        Last edited by 12thPanzer; 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X