Soldbuch Officer StuG Brigade 242 - Monte Cassino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldbuch Officer StuG Brigade 242 - Monte Cassino

Hello. I'd like to show a very nice and well filled out Soldbuch of an Oberleutnant who served with StuG Brigade 242. This unit is famous for her participation in the battle of Monte Cassino in 1944 (Hotel Continental).

On page 15 is a nice signature of Hauptmann Bussjäger, Commander of StuG Abteilung 242 at the time.

The Oberleutnant earned the following awards:
    • Anschluss Commemorative Medal 1.11.1939
    • EKII 20.8.1940
    • General Assault Badge 18.5.1942
    • Eastern Front Medal 19.8.1942
    • EKI 16.9.1942
    • Wound Badge Black 1.4.1943
    • Order of the Crown (Romania) 8.10.1943

Now I'll let the pictures talk.

Regards
    Last edited by Oberbootsmann; 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it!

Kevin

Comment

Any theories on the "shrapnel hole"? There's no correspondingly sized entry/exit holes on the front & back cover.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                        Any theories on the "shrapnel hole"? There's no correspondingly sized entry/exit holes on the front & back cover.

Jason
                        Hi Jason,

I would say that the cover has been replaced....looking at the wounds he was wounded in 1943 and 1945. The last page for leaves is an addition from 1944, however this also does not have a hole through it indicating it was added after "the event".
                        So the shrapnel hole (if indeed it is!) was from the 1943 wound.
                        It was not uncommon for units to carry "spare" Soldbuch covers....I have some in my collection that clearly had their covers replaced and also some spare covers that have never had any contents or every been stapled.

Regards,
                        Ian
                        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                          Hi Jason,

I would say that the cover has been replaced....looking at the wounds he was wounded in 1943 and 1945. The last page for leaves is an addition from 1944, however this also does not have a hole through it indicating it was added after "the event".
                          It was not uncommon for units to carry "spare" Soldbuch covers....I have some in my collection that clearly had their covers replaced and also some spare covers that have never had any contents or every been stapled.

Regards,
                          Ian
                          Thanks Ian. So my brother was right when telling me his theory regarding the damage.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                            Hi Jason,

Regards,
                            Ian

I agree 100% with Ian. Also notice that the photo has been used before and reapplied, but there was clearly a different photo attached to the cover before this photo was applied; the old stamps on this photo do not appear to line up with the original set of stamps on the cover. This photo must have been taken from another ID of his.

A great StuG Officer Soldbuch with a very nice portrait photo. Good catch.

Rob

Comment

Hello. More purchase offers than postings ...

Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X