British battledress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British battledress?

What do you think? Are these soldiers wearing British battledress, may be as fatigues?
    Attached Files

No rank insignia, so maybe POWs?

Comment

Large quantities of British Army battledress were captured after the French surrender in 1940, many were reissued to (German) U-Boat crews. These appear to be used by Heer troops as training fatigues.

Comment

This photo was only recently sold at eBay, a photo from a serie of a soldier of 171 IR: http://www.ebay.de/itm/150777353198?...84.m1435.l2649

POW's certainly not I think.
        Battle dress ? - is possible, but what then about those epaulettes ?
        And it appears that this photo was taken in Polen, so they already had these Battle dresses since they left Belgium ? Strange....

Cheers, Wim

Comment

Tahnk you for the thoughtful replies gents. Wim, yes I just bought itbecause I thought the uniforms odd. Did the Polish army have similar tunics pre-war? Thanks again for you interest and help,
          Kerry.

Comment

Hello Kerry,

Ha, what a small world, I also made a bid on this photo, but was then outbid by you. I bought some other photos out of this lot as this unit fought in May 1940 in the town were I live.
            Polish uniforms ? no idea, did some research on Google, but it is not clear. Some details do not add up. It remains a mystery for now !
            Are there perhaps any Polish members on the forum who can shed some light on this matter ?
            Cheers, Wim

Comment

On second thought, I think these may be Czech uniforms (again obtained in large quantities and probably used by the Germans for training purposes) as seen here being worn by Czech signalists in the 1930s:
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X