ID Photo - MG-42 Position in Italy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Photo - MG-42 Position in Italy?

Here is a photo which, I believe, is probably a U.S. Army Signal Corps photo of a former German MG-42 position in Italy. The photo is used as part of a display at a museum in my area and I have always found it interesting based on the (2) MG-42, (3) helmets [one a painted camo; one with cloth camo cover], hand grenades, rifle, and other German equipment that is visble. To me this looks to be a photo of a German MG-42 strongpoint that had only very recently been overrunn by U.S. troops.

Can anyone ID the photo? I would very much like to obtain a high quality copy or .jpg scan to use with an MG-42 display.

Sorry about the poor quality, but as you can see I was taking a photo of a photo, through glass.
    Attached Files

Here is a close up of the left side of the photo. If you look closely, you can see that the German helmet in the extreme left of the photo is hand painted with "splotches" on it that, to me, look similar to the pattern you see on SS zeltbahn. You can clearly see the '42's, as well as two German rifles under the '42 on the left, as well as several German handgrenades.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
      If you look closely, you can see that the German helmet in the extreme left of the photo is hand painted with "splotches" on it
      Kinda looks like chicken-wire to me.

Comment

Another close up. To me, it looks like there may be a Beretta 38a SMG under the '42 on the left, with a G-24(t) rifle under the Beretta. I say this because I think I see the barrel jacket of a Bretta 38a and the rifle has "finger grooves" in the stock like you see on G-24(t).

You can also pretty clearly see the "splotched" pattern camo on the helmet.
        Attached Files

Comment

A close up of the right side of the photo (although it does not show the helmet with cloth camo cover, which is in the extreme right side of the photo). The helmet shown next to the GI is not the one with the cloth camo cover.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the number "195293" as is visible in the lower right corner of the photo. Is this a U.S. Army Signal Corps (or some other U.S. Government) identification number for the photo?
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a shot of part of the larger display that the photo is used in.

BTW: On the helmet in the extreme left of the photo, when viewed in person at the museum the photo is very clear and sharp, and you can see that the helmet has hand-painted "splotches" on it. I don't know much about helmets (I'm a firearms guy), but would the "splotched" pattern camo helmet and the cloth covered camo helmet (on the extreme right) indicate Waffen SS use?

Again, I appreciate all ideas and suggestions about the photo.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello.

I agree with the earlier repsonse that it is chicken wire on the helmet.

Although a very interesting photo, I see no indication of W-SS connection. I think the helmet cover is Heer issue.

The unit history would probably describe what units the 339th were in battle with.

Regards,
                Chris.

Comment

Thanks to Forum member "Marco" in Italy, I now have a nice clear scan of the original photo, as well as the original caption for it.

Here is the photo (and you can clearly see the camo painted helmet on the left).

Very interesting photo, IMO.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is the original caption.

Again - thanks, Marco!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to you Alan, for me is always a pleausure to help an historical researcher

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X