EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery Photo... Women of the Reich Exercise? Flight School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Photo... Women of the Reich Exercise? Flight School?

It looks like they are holding bowling pins in their hands? Is this an exercise routine or are these gals in some sort of Flight-Directing school where they grab the flight batons and clear the planes for take-off , etc. This is all I can think of...have a look and enlighten me please! Thanks...

As long as I am at it... does anyone recognize either of these guys in the photos below? Since I'm a history novice... I just have to make sure I don't miss a familiar face. Thanks for checking.

Thanks for your help.... You all are such a great help!!!!
    DP

About the girls exercising, like many other folk art forms, Indian clubs were crafted for a utilitarian purpose. In this case: exercise. Made from about 1870 to the early 1930s in sets of two, the clubs resembled bowling pins. Sometimes they were devoid of decoration. But the most appealing ones were embellished with colorful, painted geometric designs, flowers, stars, stripes, landscapes or faux finishes. Occasionally, they were gussied up with brass tacks or buttons, or inlaid with exotic woods.
    The shirts doesn't show an apparent insignia that could help ID them. So probably they belong to a school organization or BDM perhaps?. I can't help ID the soldiers on the other 2 photos, but the guy in the back with the eye patch looks suspicious.
    Hope this helps.
    Vellocino

Comment

exercise

Bdm

Comment

I to would suggest BDM, nice photo.
        Our Mothercross project website:

sigpic

http://dasmutterkreuz.com/

Comment

BDM doing club swinging gymnastics

Today a bit in a more moderne style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaeLKJSjQs

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks!

BDM it is! Thanks to all!

Comment

I think the mass bowling pin demonstrations evolved into what is known today as 'rythmic gymnastics', which the Soviets pushed onto the Olympic Games agenda as another totally subjective judging sport which they knew they could dominate by bribing the judges.
              If I heard right the IOC allowed it- supported by the entire Eastern bloc- as a trade for the West getting sports like baseball added (the Soviets knew they could never medal in baseball).
              Now baseball is out, but rythmic gymnastics remains.

Three years ago when it was televised from Beijing and they were twirling their ribbons up in the air (an alternative to the bowling pins), my son asked 'dad, is that really a sport?'
              All I could answer was 'well, they give gold medals for it!'.

And it all started with the BDM. Something else we can blame the Nazis for I guess.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X