Gedenk Halle Fur Die Gafallenern Des Dritten Reiches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gedenk Halle Fur Die Gafallenern Des Dritten Reiches

Picked these up around 1 year ago. The Gedenk Halle book is loaded with a lot of early SA and SS photos.
    Attached Files

Thanks Loggie. I am not familiar with "Gedenk Halle...;" could you tell us who the author was, who published it, and when? Many thanks in advance,

Br. James

Comment

Unfortunately I am away and will not return home until early MAY. I will make an attempt at some bad photography when I return.

Comment

Br. James

here are some information which could help you:

Gedenkhalle für die Gefallenen des Dritten Reiches

Hans Weberstedt and Kurt Langner

Verlag: München : Zentralverlag der NSDAP, Franz Eher Nachf.

Gerdan

Comment

Thanks Gerdan -- very helpful. And no rush, Loggie, though photos from such early works are always enticing!

Br. James

Comment

Request of those of you more fluent in German than many of us:

Can you give us a good German-to-English translation of the word Halle in this particular context - Gedenk Halle.

I think Gedenk means 'Memorial' or something close to that.

Comment

commemorative hall, honorary hall, memorial hall

Gerdan

Comment

This is what I'm looking for, that I've yet to find in any dictionary, so I'm just guessing.
                Halle is a building, we know that.
                Gedenk Halle would be a memorial building, of which there were and are many in Germany.
                So a book called Gedenk Halle for die Gefallen, one would think, would be a book about the planning and construction of a particular memorial building.
                That is not what this is.

So it would seem that when the words are formed together as Germans like to do...Gedenkhalle..... it take on a slightly different meaning.
                Instead of a physical building, it means the book itself is the memorial.
                And that's what this book seems to be, full of photos of various old-time Nazis who had died.

Can anybody confirmed that Gedenk Halle would be a physical memorial building, while Gedenkhalle is simply a memorial book?

If so, then as opposed to a memorial would Festhalle also be something other than a physical building, like a commemorative book, while Fest Halle would be a building for festivals and celebrations?

Comment

The meaning of "Gedenk-Halle" in the sense of your book title means it in a double meaning.

Gerdan

Comment

I guess there is a connection between German and English, as far as roots.

The English word "hallmark" can have several meanings, such as a major milestone in time, or even a pedigree, which in some ways describes this book.

Here is something funny....
                    I was tracing the language roots, and both English hall and German Halle and several other northern European related words all trace back to Latin...and in Latin it meant 'to cover or hide or conceal'... so any large meeting place with a roof (a cover) could be described with that latin word back in Imperial Roman times...

But *also* tracing from that same latin root- to cover or hide or conceal- is the German word Hölle and the English word hell.

...talk about double or triple entendre... LOL

Comment

THe book is a memorial to the fallen during the early struggle. It is loaded with photos to include fallen members laying in thier caskets. Also has newspaper accounts and parents interview.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X