PAB Silver Award Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAB Silver Award Document

Here is a recent purchase from the estand to my collection. This silver PAB award document is signed by Willi Langkeit (later Grossdeutschland fame) who at the time was regiment commander of Panzer Rgt 36 of the 14th Panzer Division. I have no doubts to the documents authenticity and indeed the signature of Langkeit does appear to also be genuine. The "ghosting" on the paper I put down to long years of the document being folded away.
    I am trying to work out the event and time frame leading up to this award document. From what I have learnt, the 14th Panzer Division was engaged and indeed destroyed at Stalingrad. The division was rebuilt in the summer of 1943 in France. As the date of the award document is the 19.3.1943 would I be correct in saying that the recipient was a survivor of Stalingrad and indeed the criteria for meriting this award was probably achieved at Stalingrad. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also I am unable to find any information on Langkeit himself during this period. For example how did he escape Stalingrad and when. Any information would be appreciated. Thankyou.
    Attached Files

Langkeit was flown out of the Stalingrad pocket on 19 January 1943. Large elements of Pz.Rgt.36 were outside the pocket, under the command of RKT Major Sauvant, I./Pz.Rgt.36. The fact that this guy was from Sauvant's battalion suggests that he was also outside the pocket. The Stalingrad pocket was finally crushed on 2 February 1943 but the elements of Pz.Rgt.36 outside the pocket continued to fight until mid-February 1943 and were then transported to France to form the new cadre of Pz.Rgt.36. Langkeit was in charge of the regiment's reformation.

To me, this citation is more likely to be for actions outside rather than inside the pocket. "Posthumous" bestowals of awards for men lost in Stalingrad did take place but only much later in the year.

Hope that helps.
    Jason

Comment

Hi Jason

Yes indeed that does help and many thanks. I was not aware that a large part of Pz Rgt 36 were outside the pocket and I did not think this would be a posthumous award so all in all your information makes a sense. Thanks again

Phil

Comment

Nice silver PKA doc.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob and yes it is a nice inclusion to my collection.

Comment

Hi Phil

Certainly a nice document for your collection and as you say a shame about the "ghosting". I feel it doesnt detract from a great bit of paperwork with a great history attached.

Darren

Comment

Yes I agree Darren. I would say the document has been folded away for quite some years. At the moment I am delving into a bit of history regarding the unit and signatory of the document. It goes without saying that I am enjoying that part of it immensely which is what to me collecting is all about.

Phil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X