• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urkunde question!

Hello everybody.

I have a question about this urkunde.
    As you can see, there are two typ faults:

"Jm" Felde and "Jnf".Div instead af an i.

Is that normal?
    I would think that they would take an otherone and start again?
    Some info please?
    Thanks
    Nick

Urkunde question

Hello Nick,

This is something I have seen before and is a practice that was quite common with German documents => so absolutely no reason to worry about ( => and thats the reason why you posted it . In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with this one ) .

THis is not a error , so why would they replace this Urkunde when nothing was wrong with it ?

Greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

?

Hello Stijn

What do you say?
      Its not an error?
      I think that Jm or Im is totally differend.
      My opinion
      Greetings

Comment

Nick, that's left over from Old German script... they always used "J" for capital "I" through the Third Reich: names in the Rank Lists were "alphabetized" with NO distinction between a capital "J" and an "I:"

Jaschke, Ibel, von Jeinsen, Ihrig, von Ingenohl, Jobst....

there was no distinction between the letter J and I in the Imperial and Third Reich time periods-- your document is exactly as it SHOULD be.--"Jnfanterie" is correct, but it would be, say, "hinter" and never "hjnter!" The two LOWER CASE letters were different, but "I" and "J" were the SAME, even though "i" and "j" weren't!

This is all left over from medieval handwriting. The same thing happens with old English... names like "ffoulkes" are a simple misunderstanding--in English, the capital "F" had two upright strokes that just happen to look like two lower case "ff"s. Rick

Comment

Don't let the "J" as opposed to an "I" alarm you. It's more common than you think. Someone on the forum with a good sense of the German language can elaborate on the reasoning for this. I have a few docs on my own collection that have similar spellings.

Brian

Comment

The same as said by other members, don't doubt about a citation for this matter, find here the EK I citation to Major Hermann Wunnenber, DKiG on December 17th, 1.943. Not only the change of the I and J happen with Infanterie and Im, also look at the stamp and you can see that it was a J in the Inf.

Cheers

Angel
            Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X