Anatomy of a Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anatomy of a Fraud

Last year I purchased a KC group from a forum member, my first Western Front KC group, so I was very excited. A couple of weeks ago this member contacted me to say that someone had contacted him offering a Silver WB document for the soldier. The group only includes his Black WB document. Of course, I was interested. This member was kind enough to broker a deal, paying out of pocket for the document, for which I reimbursed him. The document finally arrived this week.

It begins...

The document - with only the naked eye it is fairly easy to see that the name, unit, and date have actually been rubbed out. When holding to the paper to the light, it is very clear how much thinner the paper is in these areas.
    Attached Files

Comment

Closeup
      Attached Files

Comment

The reverse side
        Attached Files

Comment

It gets really interesting under a black light, as one can see that the document was also washed in those areas to remove any further traces.
          Attached Files

Comment

The one that is most obvious is the unit. How disappointing.
            Ed: with the black light shot its very clear.

Comment

Close up one can actually see the entire document was originally written in pencil, noting the original award being 'Schwarz'.
              Attached Files

Comment

On the name line, we can also clearly see 'R. R' at the beginning.
                Attached Files

Comment

So what started out as an original Black WB document completely filled out in pencil, to most likely an anonymous soldier. We have a document that has been fabricated to look like that of a famous RKT. The faker even got the unit and time frame for the award correct, so he obviously did a little research before creating and offering this one.

I should also add, note the burned corners (top right and bottom right). I almost cringed when I took this one of package and saw the burned corners. Right away that gave me a bad feeling.

And so it goes...

Best,
                  John

Comment

Well, this is a new twist: instead of creating a fake and releasing it onto the market, the fakers are now targeting a specific person. It'll be interesting to hear what can be learnt from the forum member who brokered the deal.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
                      I should also add, note the burned corners (top right and bottom right). I almost cringed when I took this one of package and saw the burned corners. Right away that gave me a bad feeling.

Best,
                      John
                      Burned corners!
                      OMG
                      That is what I used to do when I was 8 years old and making pirate treasure maps.
                      That was so long ago, I forgot about that childish "fakers trick"

I can see how your heart would just sink at seeing that come out of the package.

Good photos : no questions as to your claims.You have proven them .

Comment

Heavens, I hadn't even noticed the corners, that's just a joke.

Comment

Is anything genuine anymore?

I want to thank Mr. Donovon for sharing this unbelievable assault on the collectors world? I am relatively new to the collection world and I have become so paranoid and so dissapointed with what people will do for a buck.

Is there any hope for someone like me getting into this hobby relatively new only 5 years? How can I be sure anything I get is ligit? At some point you do have to trust people, right?

I started out collecting KC sigs, Ace's, etc....
                          I really want to start collecting documents and Solbuchs, Wehrpas etc, but how can I start? Where does someone like me go to find a genuine authentic items that I can be compfortable knowing that what I am holding in my hand is what it is suppose to be?

Black lights, burned corners, washing, rubbing, this all smacks of the early check fraud days not a honorable society of people who want to collect this material.

Matt Help?

Comment

Interesting attempt, thanks for posting this John, it gives a good heads up on how to identify tampered with documents
                            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Fakers........

Hi John,
                              I'm sorry that you had to suffer this. It really is sad that people will go to such extremes to make a dishonest buck. Besides robbing somebody of hard earned dollars they have ruined a historical document.
                              I hope you can recover your money. Thanks for sharing your "detective" work. Take care, my friend!
                              Best Regards,
                              Dick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X