1934 Nuremberg Rally Parade Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1934 Nuremberg Rally Parade Map

I purchased this map yesterday and just thought I would post for any comments. Do you think it was a handout for people watching the parade or for the participants.
    Attached Files

Here is the back of the map.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have a similar map, it came with the entry ticket and event program:

http://www.military-awards.eu/forum/...Guide-book-etc

I guess they were made with different march routes aimed more at spectators?

Jock
      Last edited by Jock Auld; 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

There were different parades for different days of the week. For example, early during the week there was always a night 'torch parade' past Hitler's hotel, the Deutscher Hof, welcoming him to Nürnberg.

Also, for the bigger parades there were many logistical challenges which needed a lot of coordination. Various units which were marching in the parades stayed at designated camps at different locations on the outskirts of town. Each had its own route to march from their camp to a specified point where they integrated into the primary parade route-- at the precise right time of course-- and then at a later point they left the primary route to march back to their camp. Lots of planning was required to coordinate it all.

Comment

Both sides of this map are interesting, especially for the questions they raise. While I cannot make out much of any detail on the map's obverse, frame #1, the heading dates are interesting. This must have been an early version, because the final dates for the 1934 Reichsparteitag were September 4-10, not September 5-10. And the original dates on the map that were crossed out -- August 31-September 2 -- are a day shorter than the 1933 Party Day rally actually was (August 31-September 3), so thinking that this was originally a map of the 1933 rally falls short. The reverse frame, #2, is also difficult for me to accurately read, but it appears that the Luitpold Halle, the huge auditorium in which the annual Party Congress was held from 1933 onward, does not appear on this map. It should be shown just south-east of the Luitpold Arena, which is accurately itemized. Also, I can't see the Stadion or stadium in which the HJ events were held, on this map, which also existed in 1934; it should be to the south-east of the Zeppelinwiese. Perhaps it's there, but I can't make it out.

Interesting questions all, and thanks for sharing this relic with us!

Br. James

Comment

You're right about the Luitpold Halle not being shown.
            But the stadium is there, and is labeled Stadion. It's always easy to spot- even today in aerial photos- because it's oriented at a 45 degree angle to everything else. Today it's home to the Nürnberg professional soccer (football) team, and it also hosts top quality track & field (athletics) competitions from time to time.

Comment

If there is a particular area of the map you would like a close up of, let me know and I will post it.

Comment

It would be helpful to see closeups of the rally grounds from both sides of the map. Thanks for your note, Randy; I could make out something there but the design of the various stadiums, save for the Luitpold Arena which is quite distinct, was just not visible enough to me to make an ID. And the missing Luitpold Halle is quite a surprise, given that it was in use even for the 1933 rally.

Br. James

Comment

Pic1
                  Attached Files

Comment

pic2
                    Attached Files

Comment

pic3
                      Attached Files

Comment

pic4
                        Attached Files

Comment

pic5
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X