SS/Heer tourist photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS/Heer tourist photo

HI, neat photo of tourists in Prag, a man up front is holding a Prag guide book.

Interesting mix of men, looks like a combo of accountants and old ruffians

Any help with words and unit info is appreciated, otherwise just enjoy the vacation.
    Attached Files

PS sorry about the terrible photos.

Comment

up close

Here is a close-up of the SS man. What is the top badge he is wearing?

Any help would be appreciated!
      Attached Files

Comment

HJ Leader badge

Comment

It will be very difficult to determine the Heer unit these men were in but it is safe to say it was not a combat unit as most of the soldiers are much older than the average conscript and many wearing glasses. They are definately in a static Sicherungs or Fortress type unit. It is also interesting to note that they all wear converted Slovak(?) field caps, emblematic of their secondary status.

Comment

Thank you for the info guys.

I thought it might be the HJ badge, and I also noticed the field caps. I thought they looked a little different, but don't know German ones well enough. I also assumed they were a secondary unit. Does the text shed any more light?

Comment

The German Army for practical purposes would place older soldiers with dietary needs in the same unit so they could all eat the same rations. That is why you sometimes see these photos of units where most of the troops wear glasses or are in their late forties, etc. They look like 4Fs, but such is total mobilization.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X