WWI German or US soldier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI German or US soldier?

Earlier today I found this framed picture, on the back of the picture it has the biography of the soldier in question, the story is written in German and according to the story the soldier was killed by a grenade in 1918.

I am not familiar with WWI uniforms but the badge he is wearing appears to be a US sharpshooters badge?

Or am I mistaken and is this a German badge?

Thanks,
    Tino

The story....

Comment

Hello Tino,

It seems that he wears a USA sharpshooter Marksmanship badge on his uniform.
      A very interesting photo , what does a german soldier doing with a USA badge on his uniform? I'm very curious about the story behind this photo.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very strange. I read the story. If it goes with the picture then he had to have been a German soldier. Why would he wear an American medal? Very politically incorrect at that time. Does the uniform look german? Gotta love these bits of history and the questions they bring.
        Wilhelm

Comment

Possibly a US soldier with German immigrant parents, explaining the circumstances of his early life and untimely death in their native German.

Comment

The theory about being a US soldier with German immigrant parents crossed my mind as well but according to the story the soldier in question was in the army in 1914 and was wounded in 1916, well before the US was at war with Germany.

Thanks for the replies!

Tino

Comment

I don't think the photo belongs with the text.

The person described was indeed a German soldier and is recorded on the German war graves database.

Otto Braun

Für Otto Braun konnte in den vorliegenden Unterlagen keine Grabmeldung ermittelt werden. Da der französische Gräberdienst jedoch in den 20er Jahren Umbettungen aus den umliegenden Orten jeweils auf Sammelfriedhöfe durchführte, könnte er auf der vom Volksbund hergerichteten Kriegsgräberstätte in Vermandovillers im Kameradengrab bestattet worden sein.
              Nachname:
              Braun

Vorname:
              Otto

Dienstgrad:
              Leutnant

Geburtsdatum:

Todes-/Vermisstendatum:

Todes-/Vermisstenort:
              Marcelcave
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for posting the information Simon!

Unless the uniform is WWI German I have to agree that the photo doesn't go with the story, very odd why it was framed like this!!

I am not familiar with WWI uniforms or decorations but it definately appears to be a US sharpshooters badge.

If the uniform is not german could it be a pre 1912 USMC dress blues uniform?

Tino

Comment

If we could get a zoomed-in scan of those big buttons on the uniform--- I think American buttons are unique aren't they?

This may be a morbid thought--- but what if the photograph is of the American sharpshooter who killed the German soldier Otto Braun in April 1918? Even if it was, why would the German description end up in Indiana?

Comment

That is the first time i have ever seen writing from that era on that type of media that wasnt in Sütterlinschrift

Comment

There are errors in the text, the person who wrote this did not speak German and was transcribing this from another text, making typical mistakes- "Koenigftein" instead of Koenigstein, etc.

Comment

Hi All,
                        Could pic be of USMC pre-collar EGA's? Buttons would tell story. Looks close to USMC pre WW1. I side with wrong pic, maybe.
                        Terry
                        Terry Keller
                        "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                        Rammstein

Comment

[QUOTE=randy@treadways;5107143]If we could get a zoomed-in scan of those big buttons on the uniform--- I think American buttons are unique aren't they?
                          QUOTE]
                          Unfortunately the picture is too blurry to identfy the buttons...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Powell View Post
                            That is the first time i have ever seen writing from that era on that type of media that wasnt in Sütterlinschrift
                            It's funny that you mention that, I noticed that as well....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                              There are errors in the text, the person who wrote this did not speak German and was transcribing this from another text, making typical mistakes- "Koenigftein" instead of Koenigstein, etc.
                              I agree the writing does not seem to flow like it was written by someone familiar with the language
                              Also the writing appears to be written with a modern pen and whats with the cardboard backing ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X