Early Sa/SS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Sa/SS ?

Could use a little help with these,I assume their father and son.Exactly what uniforms are they wearing and about what time frame do you think this is.

Any ideas on what uniform the boy is wearing?

Comment

The older fellow appears to be wearing an early SA uniform, but without collar patches...? Not sure what that would mean...?

Br. James

Comment

The buckle of the boy looks like a DJ / Deutsches Jungvolk buckle...so he must be not older than 14 years. Pretty big boy ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          The older fellow appears to be wearing an early SA uniform, but without collar patches...? Not sure what that would mean...?

Br. James
          I have some photos of SA men without collar tabs, there doesn't appear to be any reason ive ever read for this, possibly newly laundered shirt, the collar tabs were removed to wash this outer jacket on occasion.

Comment

Many thanks for your response, luftwafffe blue; glad to know that there are other extant pix of SA men wearing their Traditions Brown Shirts without collar tabs. I knew they normally had the tabs removed when their shirt-jackets were being laundered, and I suppose they also had to remove any other sewn-on emblems such as length of service cuff stripes, Altekampfer chevrons or Führerschule graduate arrows, but I suppose what surprises me most is that such SA men would appear in public in a garment meant to show their rank, unit and regiment -- without those important details being present! (The person's group is also indicated by the color band on the kepi, so this remains present.)

I also realize that there was an amount of work involved in removing the patches and re-mounting them to the Brown Shirt, and someone to do that work might not always have been convenient!

Br. James

Comment

I also realize that there was an amount of work involved in removing the patches and re-mounting them to the Brown Shirt, and someone to do that work might not always have been convenient!
              We often take velcro for granted today, don't we?

Comment

SA Man

The post 1938 SA regulations show that the SA Anwarter rank wore no collar tabs. However, with the 1933-1938 era shoulderboard and bi-color collar piping seen here, it COULD be the fact that the shirt was laundered, and the tabs not replaced yet. This new 1938 regualtion of "no Antwarter collar tabs" also made the bi-color collar piping and 1st pattern shoulderboard obsolete, so there could be several explanations.

Comment

Many thanks for your response, luftwafffe blue; glad to know that there are other extant pix of SA men wearing their Traditions Brown Shirts without collar tabs. I knew they normally had the tabs removed when their shirt-jackets were being laundered, and I suppose they also had to remove any other sewn-on emblems such as length of service cuff stripes, Altekampfer chevrons or Führerschule graduate arrows, but I suppose what surprises me most is that such SA men would appear in public in a garment meant to show their rank, unit and regiment -- without those important details being present! (The person's group is also indicated by the color band on the kepi, so this remains present.)

Br. James
                  I did have an SA adjudant photo some time back, taken in 1934 with piping but no collar tabs, it was for his Ausweis, it happens often ive found.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X