Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Award doc - opinions please?

Hi to all forum members.
    This came through an auction along with several other items (including Artur Seyss-Inquarts diplo sword) that were originally in a Connecticut collection then at a Canadian military museum. As always, everyone claims it to be legit, I have my doubts. Binder is similar in materials to KC award docs, but thicker, the runes on the cover are raised metal, the interior is satin on blank side and doc appears to be done on vellum, hand lettered and ink signed. Size is 17 1/2 x 14 1/4. Any input would be greatly appreciated......

thanks
    Attached Files

more pics

additional shots......

Comment

more pics......
      Attached Files

Comment

Sadly it is a reproduction/fantacy piece. The Himmler signature is not even near to original examples.

Comment

Well, somebody put a lot of work into that. But I tend to agree, I believe it's a fantasy piece.

If it's not, you'd have won the lottery.

Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Cummings View Post
            Well, somebody put a lot of work into that.
            Indeed, does appear to be of very high quality, specially when compared to the normal crap which float's around.

Comment

It is of very high quality, and the cover does have the "feel" of formal RK docs. Have never been able to find anything about this though, nothing ever in print or photos of Himmler awarding anything like this. Was Peiper a favorite enough that he would have commissioned a one-off document, assuming Hitler was awarding RK docs at this time? Unfortunately, there is no date on the doc that could cross-reference his RK award, not even sure if his rank was correct at the time of his RK? The diplo sword sold at the same sale has brought $19,500, think it has since traded for over 30k

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong:

Joachim Peiper

Ritterkreuz (1588) am 09.03.1943 als SS-Sturmbannführer und Kommandeur der III. (gep.) Bataillon / 2. Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" / SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler"

So the document would be correct to the fact that he was a Sturmbannführer when he received the RK.

Though, it doesn't justify Himmler to be " extremely drunk" while signing it. The signature does not match any original HH signatures or his handwriting.

IMO

Comment

Forget it.......total nonsense.
                  Max.

Comment

Of course, it says "Das Ritterkreuz" (The Knights Cross) then below "Fuehren Sie den Degen im Ehre" (wear the dagger with honor).

As stated, somebody went to a lot of work to make something pretty.
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Of course, it says "Das Ritterkreuz" (The Knights Cross) then below "Fuehren Sie den Degen im Ehre" (wear the dagger with honor).

Meaning that someone didn't know at all what he was making up there.

Comment

I didn't notice that, i should really go to sleep.....

Comment

Correct German would be:
                          Im Namen des Reichsführers-SS

Trebes

Comment

Top marks for creativity at least.
                            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses - shame it was not better news. Big questions is, is there any market for this thing? Don't want anyone getting "stung" with it by just putting it in auction..... any ideas (short of maybe burning it) welcomed!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X