Anyone recognize locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone recognize locations?

Hi, attached are four photos from what I believe SS Div. Nord, does anyone recognize the locations ? Thanks
    Attached Files

I thought the Isted lion might be the easiest "lead" to establish a location... but yikes... it was originally in Flensburg, Denmark, then moved to Berlin as war booty (because it commemorated a 19th century victory over the Germans) in 1868, then back to Copenhagen in 1945, then returned to Flensburg three months ago (Sep 2011).
    So....given the time period of the picture it must be in Berlin. In fact, it is said to have been located on the grounds of a military academy in Berlin during the second world war.

There is also a possibility that this is the zinc copy of the Isted lion... the copy dated from the late 19th century and was installed just outside the building which housed the infamous Wansee Conference in 1942 (and the statue is still there). However, the base (the 'plinth') looks quite different, so I think your photo might be of the original Isted lion which was also in Berlin at the time.

Aha! Here we go!
    The Bundesarchive has a 1942 photo the original lion, and the base matches your photo:
    Bundesarchiv Bild 101III-Borelli-002-05A, Berlin, Kaserne der LSSAH, Flensburger Löwe

LSSAH was Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler.
    Last edited by randy@treadways; 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X